MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questions

Article about: by Historian76 "Ron owns 1500-1600 German helmets of all kinds. It truly is incredible." Good god that's a lot of helmets. You should see the rest of his collection. That is only t

Default My First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questions

This is my first ever helmet, I guess it's only a shell. I picked it up at an antique gun show here in Michigan the other day. Paid $225.00. I have the obvious question a newer collector has - "is it original?"

It appears to be an M1935 double decal, the vent holes are riveted, full rolled edge.

I also see no marks whatsoever on the shell anywhere. Should all 35 helmets have a maker's mark?

For the life of me I could not get a better, more in focus picture of the decals on my phone.

Either way I think it's great. And in any event, doing more research after buying it lead me to this site, which is an amazing resource.

My First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questionsMy First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questionsMy First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questionsMy First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questionsMy First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questionsMy First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questions
    P
    Many

Looks good from fuzzy pix - an early double decal with first patten eagle. There will be stamps on the inside left skirt above the ear and at the rear below the rivet hole. Depending on maker, these can be quite faint so look under a lamp, tilting the helmet to catch the light - you should see some numbers.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

My First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questions

It is my understanding that some early shells have no stamps. I have also read that early export helmets sent to Spain and China did not have stamps either. I have attached a photo of an early LW helmet with no stamps. NH

Every possibility has been covered by Dan and Neil. If it has no stamps it's likely an early lid intended for export. If you can get a very close and sharp shot of the inside of the rim where it is crimped over, and also the airvents, it might be possible to determine a maker without any stamps.

I will have to post more detailed photos of my early LW helmet as well. It has no markings on the shell or the liner band. The early aluminum liner only has a size marking. I will post more photos under another title. Too bad this one does not have a liner. NH

I would have liked it to have a liner as well, but of all the helmets that were at the show, this one looked the most real to me based on all the research I did before I decided to buy.

Thanks for all the feedback.

No problem - you got a nice steel helmet there! It is just that the original liner would have given us more clues. The early liners had problems with the chin strap connectors. They broke off frequently and were later re-designed. NH

?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    My First Helmet - Luftwaffe - few questions It is my understanding that some early shells have no stamps. I have also read that early export helmets sent to Spain and China did not have stamps either. I have attached a photo of an early Luftwaffe helmet with no stamps. NH
    I have heard that as well, but the Spanish and Chinese export helmets I've seen have all had factory stamps. I noticed that your example is a reissue, so there's a good chance the numbers are under the reissue paint.

That is a early M-35 Luftwaffe helmet there would be stamps in the skirt of the helmet some where like ET Q SE EF and a size no like 62 64 serial no would be in the back skirt. timothy

Your M35 lid is an early one and likely ET....the first maker onboard. The Germans, who were short on money, filled their foreign orders for the new M35 before equipping their own Wehrmacht. Some early helmets were not stamped. Also they had rather large vent bushings (later changed). As mentioned, it is entirely possible that the early 'serifed' ET stamp is under some paint layers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast