Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My first steel helmet

Article about: Exterior he keeps dirty, interior was some mud from bad storage. The helmet was found in a barn, behind a wood pile. I wonder about the good condition, he lay more than 60 years there. Best,

Default Re: My first steel helmet

Exterior he keeps dirty, interior was some mud from bad storage. The helmet was found in a barn, behind a wood pile.
    I wonder about the good condition, he lay more than 60 years there.
    Best,
    Sascha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first steel helmet
    P
    Many

try with soap and water, or in advanced process, WD40 and steel wool

Quote by mclakic View Post
    try with soap and water, or in advanced process, wd40 and steel wool
    no! No! No! Do not ever do anything to the helmet leave it in as found condition you would be ruining a great piece of history by changing it in any way. You want to leave it as it was at the wars end.

try with soap and water, or in advanced process, WD40 and steel wool
    I wouldn't! Jim G.

I made just a proposal. With my expirience, 22 years I collect helmets, I realized that, after 60 years, helmets must be, first of all, dirty. Human grease from hands, all kind of dirt....
    Of course, proposal with WD 40 and wool steel, is not for the one who does not have expirience in that process.
    I am the new one on this forum. After such comments you must think I am lunatic all the best

No you are not a lunatic Haha just experience or not i feel doing anything and i mean anything that makes any physical difference to a genuine untouched helmet is damage to the helmet.

I made just a proposal. With my expirience, 22 years I collect helmets, I realized that, after 60 years, helmets must be, first of all, dirty. Human grease from hands, all kind of dirt....
    Of course, proposal with WD 40 and wool steel, is not for the one who does not have expirience in that process.
    I am the new one on this forum. After such comments you must think I am lunatic all the best
    These helmets survived a war , were grabbed by sweaty soldiers on a daily basis. They are what they are. But cleaning with oil should be avoided , it used to be all the rage but now collectors want untouched helmets.

. After such comments you must think I am lunatic all the best[/QUOTE]

No I do not. I just disagree with the use of oil and steel wool on these historic items. I would like to welcome you to the forum, it really is a great site . You're other post certainly demonstrates that you are an experienced collector, your display of those helmets and grenades, etc is splendid! I look forward to seeing the rest of your collection and encourage you to participate in the forum. I hope that you do. Cheers, Jim G.

does oiling have any damaging effects ie to decals etc was oiling encouraged to limit further rusting?

dont touch it.it is great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast