Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My M-35 from Omaha Beach

Article about: Hello, Since we are approaching the 70th Anniversary of D-Day this Friday (June 6, 2014), I would like to share my Heer M-35. In fact this was my very 1st German helmet. It is a Heer ET 66 w

?

Thumbs up My M-35 from Omaha Beach

Hello,

Since we are approaching the 70th Anniversary of D-Day this Friday (June 6, 2014), I would like to share my Heer M-35. In fact this was my very 1st German helmet. It is a Heer ET 66 with a 2792 lot number. This helmet was captured by my great-uncle (US 1st Infantry Division) in Normandy on D-Day in 1944 (Omaha Beach from a dead German in one of the observation bunkers). My great uncle sent this helmet home to his sister (my grandmother) for her 27th Birthday which was in October of 1944. My grandmother who helped raise me, kept this helmet up on a shelf in the living room. When I was around 7 (almost 8) in 1972 my grandmother gave the helmet to me and let me keep it in my room (I never did play with it either). This is what started my collecting habit. That same great uncle was so excited that I loved the helmet ended up giving me his other captured items later that same year. Sadly my great uncle is no longer alive but my grandmother still is and she is now 96 years old.

If I had to sell off all of my stuff I would still try to hold onto this helmet. I would like to add that I actually gave it to my son, he loves it too-so we now share in ownership of it. It is one of my favorites. I would like to add that the National colors have always looked like that on the side of the helmet and nobody in my family tried to dig them out. There is an old picture of my grandmother's living room back in Missouri from the late 1940's and you can see this helmet with the National color side facing out sitting on the shelf.

I wonder what the owner of this helmet went through on that day? I know what my great-uncle went through. Not bad for a starter helmet. :wink_2:

Let us all remember those that gave or risked their lives that day.

Regards,
    Jody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M-35 from Omaha Beach   My M-35 from Omaha Beach  

My M-35 from Omaha Beach   My M-35 from Omaha Beach  

My M-35 from Omaha Beach  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M-35 from Omaha Beach
    P
    Many

Awesome helmet and awesome provenance. Kind of a weird thing to carry around Europe for five months, though. Are you sure it was picked up at Omaha and not somewhere else in France?

You might be interested in this helmet of mine- an M1 with Omaha Beach provenance.

Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall

?

Smile

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Awesome helmet and awesome provenance. Kind of a weird thing to carry around Europe for five months, though. Are you sure it was picked up at Omaha and not somewhere else in France?

You might be interested in this helmet of mine- an M1 with Omaha Beach provenance.

Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall
    Hello,
    He actually sent it to her in the late summer of 1944 (he basically said he was sending it to her now because he didn't want to forget her birthday). He sent my grandmother a ton of war stuff which I now have. My grandmother was the only girl among 9 boys. My great-uncle Frank was great at remembering where he picked up stuff. I also have a Luftwaffe helmet he picked up in Sicily and sent home in late 1943. These guys did carry around stuff for a while, my great-uncle for example carried an Army dagger he picked up in Normandy all the way through the Bulge along with a small Nazi flag.

BTW, I like your helmet.

Regards,
    Jody

Jody, that is incredible history!

The sentimental value is priceless

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Jody, that is incredible history!

The sentimental value is priceless

Nick
    Hi Nick,
    Thank you, I grew up around this stuff. My mom and grandmother were in the antique business, so I guess collecting this stuff came natural.

Jody

MAP
    ?

Great helmet, fantastic history. I love reading all your postings. Always makes my mouth water!

Like you I am passing this passion on to my son as well.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great story and great item thanks for sharing it!

Great story and superb helmet, I really love the patina on it.

?

That is really neat Jody.

?

I am sure Chris R would love this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast