Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My M-35 from Omaha Beach

Article about: Hello, Since we are approaching the 70th Anniversary of D-Day this Friday (June 6, 2014), I would like to share my Heer M-35. In fact this was my very 1st German helmet. It is a Heer ET 66 w

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Great helmet, fantastic history. I love reading all your postings. Always makes my mouth water!

Like you I am passing this passion on to my son as well.

Regards,

Michael
    Hi Michael,
    You need to pass it on to your son. Your son will be more appreciative of history as a result. Plus it makes it more fun.

Jody

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M-35 from Omaha Beach
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jody View Post
    Hi Michael,
    You need to pass it on to your son. Your son will be more appreciative of history as a result. Plus it makes it more fun.

Jody
    Yes. He comes to almost every show I go to. And every private purchase. I usually give him some cash per show and let him buy something from my "trusted" dealer friends (of course I speak to these dealer friends in advance!!). He favors Ordinance for some reason.

At 10 years old, I have to tear him away from the WWII History channel type shows on TV at bedtime. We even read these posts together! Maybe I'll buy him a Gold Membership!

My Dad did the same with me. Unfortunately he didn't really buy/collect anything, just looked. He would buy me a few small items as a child now and then. While not valuable, they are the prized items in my collection!

It's a shame that I rarely see any kids at the shows I go to (that said, they are all small and local shows).

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What a helmet and story! Thanks for sharing. My son is only 6 and while I have not yet taken him to a show yet , he is fascinated by it all. When he's drawing he depicts aerial dogfights and differentiates them with either a cross or star.

That is another great piece with a superb history behind it Jody. Your so fortunate to have not only received these great pieces but to also have a great family history! I think I may have mentioned before that my Grandfather brought back many items from D-Day onwards. He landed on Sword beach in the 1st wave with the 3rd Infantry Division (Lincolnshire Regiment) and "collected" badges along the way after the main battle. Unfortunately the cabinet containing all the awards and badges he collected was thrown out in the 60's!! I have been very sad about that since I came into this world in1974!! Here's me and Grandad who is now 88 Yrs old! Leon My M-35 from Omaha BeachMy M-35 from Omaha Beach

?

Thumbs up D-Day

Hi Leon,
    That is great and I am glad to see that your grandfather is still around (I love the photo of you two together). My great-uncle Frank passed in the early 1990's. The sad thing is that the only stuff I have of his is what he gave me. His kids tossed out all of his stuff after he died (they knew I wanted it and didn't want me to have it-oh well that is another story).

Here is my great-uncle Frank (along with a newspaper clipping of his two oldest brothers Floyd (he died in 2008) and Harold (he is still alive and is 93) who served in the Pacific). In addition, he had a brother 16 months older (Hurshel) that served in the USMC in WWII and Korea.

Regards,
    Jody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M-35 from Omaha Beach  
    Attached Images Attached Images My M-35 from Omaha Beach 

?

Always great to see your collection Jody. Being nearly all family and vet acquired makes it even more special.

Those are great images of your family Jody , a real blessing that they all made it through the war too. We all owe so much to these guys who fought for a free world. Leon.

A great helmet Jody!!! ( it leaves my M35 GOLD beach relic in the dust ) My Grandfather was an air defense warden in Sydney and my great uncle was captured in Singapore & tortured by the Japanese in Changi prison ...... so no vet bring-backs for me.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Indeed a great story and helmet.

?

Fantastic helmet Jody, even better that you know it's history, and that it was handed down to you through your family.
    Thanks for sharing not only the helmet, but your family history along with it.

Brad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast