MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

Article about: It really depends on the type of treatment, oils etc are a no no, but lanoline or petroleum jelly can be used to help re-hydrate the leather, depending on the type of rot your dealing with,

?

Default Re: My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

It really depends on the type of treatment, oils etc are a no no, but lanoline or petroleum jelly can be used to help re-hydrate the leather, depending on the type of rot your dealing with, normally i would also say leave well alone, but there are times when a liner has been affected by water or just excessive heat that by a gentle treatment can work well to preserve the overall look

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell
    P
    Many

Default Re: My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shell

Quote by davejb View Post
    It really depends on the type of treatment, oils etc are a no no, but lanoline or petroleum jelly can be used to help re-hydrate the leather, depending on the type of rot your dealing with, normally i would also say leave well alone, but there are times when a liner has been affected by water or just excessive heat that by a gentle treatment can work well to preserve the overall look
    i think i leave the liner as is and only in case of change then i maybe would use the jelly
    thanks for the information so far

Default M35 liner issue

My M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shellMy M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shellMy M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shellMy M35 Camo shell and how to preserve the liner in my M35 Camo shellHi guys,
    I keep forgetting to post to this thread about my m35 liner.
    it has the original liner. the leather is not getting dry as much as it is its getting weak and is starting to show signs of the metal wearing through the liner. My vault has temp and humidity control,
    but this was stored in an attic until I bought it in 1994. my father kept it for me but didn't really store it all to well.
    any ideas? take the liner out to minimize stress going forward or leave it alone
    leave it alone is my first choice.
    thanks in advance

I say you are absolutely right... leave it alone -- that leather looks just fine and stable, only some minor flaking along the edge. I had one which I treated, my first complete helmet (M40 Heer), and even though the extensive flaking was stalled and the leather softened it left a darkened shiny liner without any of the untouched appeal one can see in your photos. Not worth it at all, IMO. Looks nice.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I say you are absolutely right... leave it alone -- that leather looks just fine and stable, only some minor flaking along the edge. I had one which I treated, my first complete helmet (M40 Heer), and even though the extensive flaking was stalled and the leather softened it left a darkened shiny liner without any of the untouched appeal one can see in your photos. Not worth it at all, IMO. Looks nice.
    I agree leave it alone , don't see any problem with that leather. Most look like that and they keep just well like that.

Quote by GeneralPutnam View Post
    Hi guys,
    I keep forgetting to post to this thread about my m35 liner.
    it has the original liner. the leather is not getting dry as much as it is its getting weak and is starting to show signs of the metal wearing through the liner. My vault has temp and humidity control,
    but this was stored in an attic until I bought it in 1994. my father kept it for me but didn't really store it all to well.
    any ideas? take the liner out to minimize stress going forward or leave it alone
    leave it alone is my first choice.
    thanks in advance

The metal that you see through the leather is caused by the wear. That it why there is that felt ring between the liner and leather. If you dont wear it around the house it wont get worse

I used this as a motorcycle helmet for many years. Im kidding the only person in my house that is authorized to go within two feel is me. People or friends that visit want to see it. I state " its okay to see with your eyes not with your hands"

?

There is a great leather treatment called "Pecards" it is out of the US and is used by Museums ect comes in a paste and a liquid, I have used it on US Civil War leather that was hard, and it softened it up over time.

Just my thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

Quote by CampX View Post
    There is a great leather treatment called "Pecards" it is out of the US and is used by Museums ect comes in a paste and a liquid, I have used it on US Civil War leather that was hard, and it softened it up over time.

Just my thoughts

Dean O
    Canada
    Irrelevant as the leather which we are talking about is soft and even it it were hard why would you need to soften it.
    It's a display piece. Any meddling with products on a piece like that is a no no in TR collecting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast