Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My new army double decal helmet..

Article about: “As-Is” Model 1935 Army Double Decal Helmet-Here is a well-used example.*What is also interesting are the lines in the finish, evidence of a camouflage wire that once resided on the helmet.

It looks like the decals have suffered from sanding down the exterior paint.
    From a price comparison, here in the UK I purchased a Luftwaffe M35 double decal for £675 - although not in 'pristine' condition, I felt the decals looked better:
    M35 DD Luftwaffe Helmet

nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new army double decal helmet..
    P
    Many

Define "Well Used". Wartime or post war ?

I know a lot of guys prefer used, battle worn helmets over "Minty closet Queens". That's fine & understandable
    However....the hard part & sometimes impossible issue is "How much of a helmet in used, worn condition is wartime use or post war abuse" ? I am pretty sure this helmet did not look like this in 1945 or whenever it was captured. Patience & experience come into play when determining if a helmet has been on childrens heads in a backyard in 1965 playing "Combat" or was actually brought home in its' current condition.

When I see liberated decals, treated liners, torn liner fingers, reddish rust, I walk away. These are all symptoms of post war abuse, not so much neglect. Neglect is one that's been improperly stored & untouched for 75 years such as a basement or attic or barn. With experience, one can tell the difference between the two most of the time.

I would pass on this.

To me those decals look very similar to known copies that are still sold.

Quote by M38 View Post
    Here is an example, a better buy in my opinion.

Terry

DD ARMY M35 HELMET | Collector to Collector Militaria
    hi thanks for that. i see what you are saying and yes i have to agree with you all.there will be a better buy.the one on collector to collector is a nice one..just had a good look at it i think i will email them about that one..

Quote by real steel View Post
    Define "Well Used". Wartime or post war ?

I know a lot of guys prefer used, battle worn helmets over "Minty closet Queens". That's fine & understandable
    However....the hard part & sometimes impossible issue is "How much of a helmet in used, worn condition is wartime use or post war abuse" ? I am pretty sure this helmet did not look like this in 1945 or whenever it was captured. Patience & experience come into play when determining if a helmet has been on childrens heads in a backyard in 1965 playing "Combat" or was actually brought home in its' current condition.

When I see liberated decals, treated liners, torn liner fingers, reddish rust, I walk away. These are all symptoms of post war abuse, not so much neglect. Neglect is one that's been improperly stored & untouched for 75 years such as a basement or attic or barn. With experience, one can tell the difference between the two most of the time.

I would pass on this.
    yep i think i will keep looking its good i did not pay for it yet.i will email him and say sorry but a no go on this one.

Quote by ChewiOne View Post
    It looks like the decals have suffered from sanding down the exterior paint.
    From a price comparison, here in the UK I purchased a Luftwaffe M35 double decal for £675 - although not in 'pristine' condition, I felt the decals looked better:
    M35 DD Luftwaffe Helmet

nick
    Yes i was thinking that the decals look like thay have had sanding done on them that is the one big thing that was puting me off it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2