Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My New M40 SS helmet

Article about: Hey guys! Just got my M40 SS helmet in and had to take quick pictures of it real quick lol! I didn’t want to keep it out in the sun for long because I just felt like it might cause harm to

The chaotic nature of wartime. The anomalies that abound don’t play too well with my way of thinking either. I will add that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My New M40 SS helmet
    P
    Many

Haha right all that what ifs and the could have happened’s I think I’m personally going to keep it I love the Decal on it it’s in great shape and I actually like the liner it shows usage now whether or not it actually belongs in there we may never find out but I like it. There have not been any signs pointing to it being put in there postwar just the question of why..I think I like having a helmet that has had a anomaly happen to it I find it rather neat and rare IMO. Now if the split pins showed obvious signs of being re-bent I’d for sure send it back since that would’ve been a obvious sign it was a postwar add on.

The Decal is really crisp, and definitly an Original! So, even with these unanswered questions, its an all piece original, nice helmet!

?

This was a an interesting read. It sure had me waiting to see Who Said What.
    Watching you bend the liner out for pic's had me on edge, I kept thinking, This is not a cheap helmet. I'm sure you felt the same.
    I am a novice on German helm's,
    But that one is a Beauty. Love the Decal!
    Congrats Giants77. That will display very well.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Congrats on making your decision friend. Great helmet indeed. A good thread too. Everyone a helper. Power of the forum.

And it’s the First SS I have seen with a Luftschutz liner (Guy crying laughing emoji).

Thank you Adravor, Phil, Paddy, PotatoeDigger, Map, Schwerpunct and also everyone else to many people to mention haha, but thank you for your comments, concerns, and opinions. And Phil on bending the liner back was giving me nightmares lol! I took Maps advice and used two people that was my first time ever bending a liner back haha! But luckily all went back as it came.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Haha right all that what ifs and the could have happened’s I think I’m personally going to keep it I love the Decal on it it’s in great shape and I actually like the liner it shows usage now whether or not it actually belongs in there we may never find out but I like it. There have not been any signs pointing to it being put in there postwar just the question of why..I think I like having a helmet that has had a anomaly happen to it I find it rather neat and rare IMO. Now if the split pins showed obvious signs of being re-bent I’d for sure send it back since that would’ve been a obvious sign it was a postwar add on.
    A tough decision to make for sure. But glad you are happy. As I noted, my M42 as anomalies. In the end, after much discussion, help and in hand analysis I got comfortable with it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It’s a shame that there is the question mark as it is a very attractive helmet. If there is any doubt or the slightest feeling that down the road you will still be questioning it it might be best to raise these questions with the dealer as they may just have a plausible answer to these questions. Then if you are still uncomfortable you can return it and put the money towards something that you feel much more comfortable with.

Andy

Hey guys just wanted to add some of my late night study photos of the SS helmet! Also wanted to ask since the liner is in bad shape is it still alright to put a plastic bag under the helmet to help support it or leave the liner be?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My New M40 SS helmet   My New M40 SS helmet  

My New M40 SS helmet   My New M40 SS helmet  

Use a glass head with a rag in between the shell and liner

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast