Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My New M42 SD

Article about: Well guys this one is coming home to my shelf, and marks my 2nd stahlhelm for the collection! Picked it up on a local "online only" auction. The auctioneer had it advertised as a W

Typical SD salty m42 as stated just mid to late war paint to me with some patina. timothy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My New M42 SD
    P
    Many

Any guesses on the size?
    Last edited by IllinoisCornFarmer90; 05-15-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Well guys I found out some interesting history on this helmet today. Are you ready?

So I called the auction house today to settle my debt for the helmet. During our phone conversation, I asked the secretary if I could please have the consignors contact information. She was hesitant to give it out because of "privacy" reasons, but after I told her that I was a young guy wanting to do some historical research, she gave me the contact info. (Helmet shipped today!)

The seller was an 83 year old man named James Ellis. I told him that I was the new owner of the helmet he sold. He asked me if I wanted to know how he came to own it? I said of course

This M42 was sent to James Ellis in early 1945 from his uncle; Corporal Willard "Bubba" Crawford of Danville, Illinois. It came to him in a package that was addressed to his whole family. There were many thing in the package, but the helmet was for James along with a K98 bayonet, some fishing lures and a french chocolate bar. He said to me that he was 13 years old at the time, and when he got the package it was "better than Christmas!"

The only information that he could remember off the top of his head about his uncles service was that he served with the 80th Infantry Division in France and Germany. He also mentioned that he was a purple heart recipient. I asked him if the decal was in better shape when he got it, and to my surprise, he told me that it looked exactly like that when he got it. I was interested in where the helmet has spent the past 70 years of its life, and he informed me that he found it in the loft of his garage. We had such an amazing conversation, and at the end of it he said "I am happy the helmet is going to stay with you." He also mentioned that if he finds the bayonet that he will send it to me, but not to get my hopes up!

I am currently in the process of requesting Willard Crawford's service records for my research. This is only my second helmet as a collector. But after this experience, I can guarantee it will not be my last!
    Last edited by IllinoisCornFarmer90; 05-15-2015 at 05:08 AM.

They say " never buy the story" but when the story is first hand then that is fantastic!
    Just brings history to life and makes us proud we can carry the torch for the next generation without it going out.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

You should take a pic of the old man w the helmet in hand, and under it the story. That would be great!

MAP
    ?

The story is better than the helmet. I always say researching the item is almost if not better than buying it! Now write it down, print it out and put it with the helmet.

And Trond's idea of have a picture of the guy with the helmet is fantastic if it can be arranged. Last year I bought a mint DD M35 from the son of a Vet. Although 4 states away, we met in the middle and I got some great pictures with the man and the helmet.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well done with your efforts to research the helmet's background...Nice score!
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks guys, this is what the hobby is all about, keeping the memories and the history alive!

MAP
    ?

This is what I did. A nice pic like this to go with your helmet! It can then be passed down to the next and next generation..

My New M42 SD
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice picture Michael. The veterans nephew only lives 2 hours away, and it is on the way to the in-laws house, so I will make this happen for sure!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast