Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Named double decal helmet found in garbage!

Article about: by davejb Just to make sure you understand what Doug means by the 45 degree cut, its not laid flat then cut the leather, its cut with the strap through the side, in other words end on so the

Default Re: Named double decal helmet found in garbage!

Nice find , don't clean it please. Keep it as is. I'd also value it around 700 to 800$ like Doug.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named double decal helmet found in garbage!
    P
    Many

holy **** imagine someone throwing away something so valuable O_O

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Nice find , don't clean it please. Keep it as is. I'd also value it around 700 to 800$ like Doug.
    I promise I won't ruin it!

I notice that the chin strap is torn and I don't want it to break completely. What is the best way to prevent it from breaking?

?

Unfortunately there is no sure way to stop it breaking other than secure it by a covering of tape or something similar, but the best thing is to display it in a way that theres no strain on the chinstrap, its in a totally original condition therefore its best left alone, some would remove the chinstrap and display seperately, but theres also a danger in removing it , more damage is caused

Quote by davejb View Post
    but the best thing is to display it in a way that theres no strain on the chinstrap, its in a totally original condition therefore its best left alone
    This is exactly what I have done. Thanks for the advice!

Here is a picture of the tear btw... it's near where the chinstrap attached to the helmet.

?

You can cut it with a 45 degree angle cut, apply white glue, attach and apply pressure overnight, in the morning it's repaired!

Regarding the personalization in red, it's more common than you may think and looks period.

Quote by DougB View Post
    You can cut it with a 45 degree angle cut, apply white glue, attach and apply pressure overnight, in the morning it's repaired!

Regarding the personalization in red, it's more common than you may think and looks period.
    Here is a picture of the tear.

Would I even need to cut it in order to repair? ... that makes me nervous!

Also, is this the type of glue you're talking about?

Also, thanks for your advice on the name. I did a quick search on the name "Kittel" and it came up with so many results... I guess it's the German equivilent of "Tailor" "Taylor", etc. in English.

Great find! Nice salty original lid, with the "I've been there look" to it.

?

Just to make sure you understand what Doug means by the 45 degree cut, its not laid flat then cut the leather, its cut with the strap through the side, in other words end on so the two pieces will form a butt join and match perfectly, if its something your not confident on doing then try it on an old piece of leather first , ie an old leather belt, hope im not teaching you to suck eggs, but its best to explain, also you will obviously need to cut out the tear first so you have two square cut pieces, then cut 45 degrees angles in both

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast