Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Named double decal helmet found in garbage!

Article about: by davejb Just to make sure you understand what Doug means by the 45 degree cut, its not laid flat then cut the leather, its cut with the strap through the side, in other words end on so the

Default Re: Named double decal helmet found in garbage!

Quote by davejb View Post
    Just to make sure you understand what Doug means by the 45 degree cut, its not laid flat then cut the leather, its cut with the strap through the side, in other words end on so the two pieces will form a butt join and match perfectly, if its something your not confident on doing then try it on an old piece of leather first , ie an old leather belt, hope im not teaching you to suck eggs, but its best to explain, also you will obviously need to cut out the tear first so you have two square cut pieces, then cut 45 degrees angles in both
    Sorry, I'm not really good with this kind of thing and am not fully understandng.

Would someone be able to draw up a basic diagram or something?

SORRY!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named double decal helmet found in garbage!
    P
    Many

I wouldn't cut anything. The tear doesn't look that bad. If you don't put strain on it should be ok. I like to leave things alone unless there is no other way. If it does tear later then you could try the cut fix. JMHO

Quote by Mountaineer View Post
    I wouldn't cut anything. The tear doesn't look that bad. If you don't put strain on it should be ok. I like to leave things alone unless there is no other way. If it does tear later then you could try the cut fix. JMHO
    Yeah, I think you're right. The only thing that concerns me is that the tear goes through a portion of the chinstrap where there is stitching.

How much of an idiot do you have to be to throw this out? It doesn't take a historian to figure this one out! I might be able to understand if it was a no-decal helmet, but even that is ridiculous.

As to the helmet itself, all I can say is that it is a textbook example of a well-used combat vet. I wish you could track it back to the original owners and slap him/her/them in the face/faces.

not everyone values this stuff or attaches any kind of significance to it,,,i too have literally save items from the trash can just as the garbage collectors were rolling up,,,,so much has been discarded and thrown in the dumps as to boggle the mind....

My only garbage pick up was a rather large WWII-era trunk named to a 2nd. Lt. the 34th. I.D.

The funny thing about it was, the guy throwing it out was the original owner!

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    How much of an idiot do you have to be to throw this out? It doesn't take a historian to figure this one out! I might be able to understand if it was a no-decal helmet, but even that is ridiculous.

As to the helmet itself, all I can say is that it is a textbook example of a well-used combat vet. I wish you could track it back to the original owners and slap him/her/them in the face/faces.
    Well, let me stop you right there. The man who dumped it later came up to the office to pay. He saw this sign, went down, and got it for me from off the top of the garbage heap. At least he was nice enough for that and saw the educational value of the helmet.

Ah, that makes sense. In that case, go do that man a favor. He deserves it.

?

It used to be common to find stuff like this in the trash.

I recall when a piece like this was 5 bucks or less.

We'd use empty shells as targets.

Just the way it was-no use getting one's panties in a knot or threatening to slap somebody.

Great find Gizmo. I too was in the scrap metal business many years ago in California and Mexico. In those days I used to find lots of US steel pots and found approximately 6 WWI German steel helmets , two M35 to M40 and a few Adrians and others including a japanese WWII helmet with star. I traded or sold them all away over the years and I could kick myself now for doing so. This is very rare nowadats as you have found it. Even the average person seems to know there is some value to these things. Take good care of this baby. You are now responsible for a nice piece of history that you rescued from oblivion.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast