Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.

Article about: Hello, I found an M40 in an antique shop and I was wondering if I can get some help with verifying it's authenticity. To my untrained eye, everything looks good. The only things I'm unsure o

Default Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.

Hello, I found an M40 in an antique shop and I was wondering if I can get some help with verifying it's authenticity. To my untrained eye, everything looks good. The only things I'm unsure of is if the helmet is originally named, which I have no idea how to tell, and if the price seems fair. They want $600 for it. Thank you in advance for the help. I hope the pictures suffice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.   Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.  

Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.   Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.  

Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.   Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named Luftwaffe ET M40 SD. Need help verifying.
    P
    Many

Also, it seemed there was a circular sticker once at the bottom, I have no idea what that is about. And sturmmann (Strm) is an SS rank, why is it on a luftwaffe helmet if it's real?

Hi, well firstly i think that the chinstrap short end is certainly original, although looks like the earlier aluminium type,? The over all wear to the helmet matches well with that so i am guessing that it is it's original strap, especially as the mice appear to have nibbled that along with the liner!! Personally i think the asking price is too high for one in this condition. Leon.

Personally I am always very cautious about 'named' helmets. It seems there are a lot of helmets like this but I think it is quite hard to verify the authenticity of them. I would not pay extra for the 'name'.
    I agree with Leon that I think the price is a little high - based on the overall condition of the liner, decal, paint. Perhaps $500 would be closer the mark.
    Nick

I appreciate the input gentlemen. So no one sees an issue with an SS rank on a Luftwaffe helmet? Or the white in the center? I wish I remembered if the white was paint but I believe it was sticker residue.

TWS
    ?

I do not like the SS "Sturmann" rank abbreviation on a LW helmet. I also think it is over priced due to condition.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Too much what I think is post war handling/abuse. This should be somewhat textured M40 paint & this is all smooth. Unlikely the helmet looked this way when liberated in 1945 or whenever. Market value is more like $400 tops IMO
    D.

Still learning but compared to the original helmets I’ve seen to date the patina looks period to me. The colour has that depth to it that only 70 year old paint can achieve.

Regarding the name - yes it can be tricky and would perhaps form a good topic for a sticky or a database of original examples. The colour looks the off white that seems typical but at the end of the day this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good.

Can’t really comment on the SS rank but looking forward to hearing what others have to say. Quite a curious anomaly if it’s legitimate. The family name sounds a little bit Ducth to me too which is interesting. As others have observed you can probably do a bit better for your money.