Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying this German helmet

Article about: Hey Guys, I was just given a German helmet as a gift,from an older friend who had relatives who served in WWII in Europe, I have been looking online and have settled on the m1916 but I would

oldwizard
    ?

Default Need help identifying this German helmet

Hey Guys,
    I was just given a German helmet as a gift,from an older friend who had relatives who served in WWII in Europe, I have been looking online and have settled on the m1916 but I would like the forms thoughts on it. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying this German helmet   Need help identifying this German helmet  

Need help identifying this German helmet   Need help identifying this German helmet  

Need help identifying this German helmet  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Need help identifying this German helmet

Yes you are correct, Its an M16 german WW1 Helmet. Should have the maker and size on the inside skirt of the helmet.With the lug stepped I would say its a size 62 or 64. There might also be a number at the top inside crown, which is where the metal was made for the helmet. Seems to be mostly complete except for the chinstrap. Looks to have alittle of the original colour left as well. Nice helmet that hasnt been messed with, would go great in any collection

oldwizard
    ?

yep as best as I can make out it has a BF62 near the chin strap and has r 1177 stamped on the inside of the dome...so btw what are the lugs for? vents?
    thanks for your help!

Yep they are air vents. Alot of german soldiers would cover them up or fill them is, as they would whistle in the wind. My WW1 camo has small bits of paper rolled up and put into the vents. They were also there to hang the snipers shield from. Have a look in the imperial german section and you might see couple of topics regarding them.

Hope it helps