Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

*need help* M40 German helmet

Article about: So I’ve quit looking at all the other helmets and this one caught my attention. To me it looks authentic and it looks like the original paint that’s on the helmet. But I’m not so sure about

Default *need help* M40 German helmet

So I’ve quit looking at all the other helmets and this one caught my attention. To me it looks authentic and it looks like the original paint that’s on the helmet. But I’m not so sure about the liner. He is asking 350 USD. Is it worth pursuing or am I wasting my time. Also one more question I have a “square dip” police/fire civic helmet What’s the best way to display these items?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture *need help* M40 German helmet   *need help* M40 German helmet  

*need help* M40 German helmet   *need help* M40 German helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement *need help* M40 German helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Hmmmm. How did the seller get straight on photos of the liner band markings? It had to be out of the shell to take them. Also the liner is in backwards. Not unheard of but an anomoly that needs study. But based on the photos of the liner band and the backwards liner....I would say this helmet has been played with.

Is the liner original to the helmet but just removed (arggh) for the photos...or is it a replacement? Either way...it's been messed with.

What about the other Luft M42 I gave you the link to?

My one suggestion is to take a couple of steps back and breathe deeply. Figure out what you want and how much you can afford/willing to spend. Then take your time. We always rush our first helmet purchase but it should be the opposite.

Where are all these helmets you are posting being sold? As noted, stay far away from eBay and Craigslist
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As others have said in regards to the other helmets you have posted, it would be best to save your money and go looking for a decent lid. It is only my opinion, but you will not find a good, honest helmet for much less than $500. Saving for a higher-end helmet is worth it. Not only will you be happy with it, and be proud to have it in your collection, it will also prove to be a good investment in the years to come. The salty helmets you have shown will offer neither of these benefits. It is all down to personal taste, however. Some like the 'semi-relic' look, others do not.

As for how to display them, avoid mannequin heads of any kind. Over time, these will permanently deform and eventually destroy the liner. The best method of display is simply to stand them on a shelf, resting on the skirt. If necessary, you can stuff a ball of tissue paper underneath to prevent the liner from sagging. If the helmet has a drawstring in place, this shouldn't be an issue. If you do wish to display the helmet on a stand of sorts, paper towel holders do the job. They have the benefit of being far cheaper than a mannequin head, as well as not damaging the liner. Instead, the top of the stand rests against the inside of the steel shell.

Hope this proves to be helpful.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Here are some photos (inclusive of the "paper towel" holders) of display options

My Collection - A portion

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hey again awesome collection!!!!! And I did inquire about the helmet but I haven’t gotten a message back yet it says I have a message but I can not find it anywhere it’s just the welcome to the forum one.

Not convinced the shell is original. Pics need improvement. Lot# & Maker stamp need to be viewed
    D

MAP
    ?

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Hey again awesome collection!!!!! And I did inquire about the helmet but I haven’t gotten a message back yet it says I have a message but I can not find it anywhere it’s just the welcome to the forum one.
    His website link is below.

Wartime Collectables Military Antiques