Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need ID of the helmet

Article about: Hello! My brother bought me helmet as a birthday gift, but I'm not sure what kind of helmet it is. I'm almost 100% sure it's German. The problem is there aren't any signs which could help me

?

Default Need ID of the helmet

Hello!

My brother bought me helmet as a birthday gift, but I'm not sure what kind of helmet it is.

I'm almost 100% sure it's German. The problem is there aren't any signs which could help me identifying it because. There aren't any numbers, codes, insignias or anything else, just a pure metal. Texture seems very strange, but that may be due to a bad condition of the helmet.

The previous owner had it repainted with a car color so the color also isn't as it was. Stupid of him, but that's one of the reasons I got it for 15€.

Here are some photos:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need ID of the helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need ID of the helmet

Yes its German, but in a relic state. That is why the surface is so pitted and bumpy. Looks to be an M40 but not sure of the maker or size. Personally I would try to strip the paint and take it back to its relic or as found state but its up to you.

?

I would agree with VJ, try to strip it back to relic condition, but you need to go carefully, there maybe deeper pits that lead to holes, i also agree that it looks like an m40

?

M40. Stripping it is an option, or you could do a restoration job on it. Try to paint it with a flat paint close to the original WWII color. I have done that on a couple of WWI helmets. Either way the value is reduced. As it sits it is worth anywhere from $50 to $100 US.

I'd agree with the Guys above M40, and abit of a bargain.

?

Im a little confused, ive re-read the original post and its stated this relic was bought as a gift by your brother , you then state it cost you 15euro ? , as for value as is ,no more than $20-25

?

Quote by SAVAGE View Post
    M40. Stripping it is an option, or you could do a restoration job on it. Try to paint it with a flat paint close to the original WWII color. I have done that on a couple of WWI helmets. Either way the value is reduced. As it sits it is worth anywhere from $50 to $100 US.
    I guess I'll do the restoration on it as soon as find a "how to" on restoring it. If anyone knows a good one, please let me know. There is one more problem with this helmet, there are no holes for liner pins. It seems like they have existed, but were covered. Does anyone know if it is possible to find liner pins on sale?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Im a little confused, ive re-read the original post and its stated this relic was bought as a gift by your brother , you then state it cost you 15euro ? , as for value as is ,no more than $20-25
    Yeah, my brother had bought it for 15€ and gave it to me.

?

Have a look on our restoration forum, there are numerous posts regarding restoring helmets, in your case i would leave the helmet without pins and liner, theres no need to try and make this helmet look any better other than its true relic state, it will cost you more than the helmets value, either the pin holes have rusted over or they have been filled before painting, until you remove the paint you wont know what has been done

?

Thanks for the heads up! Will take a look!