Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need your advice on this please!

Article about: Hi guys, been away for a while, but im back with more questions yiihaa! Picked this helmet up on a local fleamarket last week, it actually started a few weeks ago, this guy had a fireman hel

?

Default Need your advice on this please!

Hi guys, been away for a while, but im back with more questions yiihaa!

Picked this helmet up on a local fleamarket last week, it actually started a few weeks ago, this guy had a fireman helmet for sale, asked him if he had any german ww2 helmets, and he said he had 2, but maybe, just maybe he could consider to sell me one, i told him to bring it the following saturday since he has a set table at that market, went there a week later, he did not think i would show up so he did not bring it.. Ok, next week again then, and last saturday he had it, it lookes like it could be genuine to me, but again i´ve been wrong before, but the price wasn´t too bad so i won´t cry myself to sleep if it is a fake one.

But i want to ask for your advice on the horrible paintjob that someone thought was a good idea sometime. Now i know sometimes the helmets was roughly painted by the soldiers if it was neccesary, but i can´t see why someone would choose this colour! Thank god the didn´t cover the eagle. But, is there any safe way to remove the blue colour without any damage to the original paint? I was recommended to use aceton, not sure if that´s the name of it in english, but same stuff that women removes nailpolish with, oilbased is what i have at home, but before i do anything im all ears!

It was a modern chin strap attached with thin wire on it when i got it, thats the only thing i removed, havent done anything else:

Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!

On the inside there is this faded text, not sure what it says, "Günle" maybe, or "Gügle"? And the number 692, just to the left of the number there is something looking like a small silvercoloured square, but my mobile camera won´t capture it good at all, but if you look at the close ups you can see a little shiny area, it might be just a mark of time, but it feels sort of ment to be there:

Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!

On top of the helmet it seems to have been a crack or a hole, and poorly repaired. Probably the reason why it was painted, but was it a common thing to fix it like this if it cracked in the battle? My guess would be that if you got a crack or a hole in the helmet you wouldn´t worry about the helmet.. Of course i cant see how big the damage actually was, it could be a solid prevention on a small damage, here´s from the inside and outside, not the best pics i see now, im at work so can´t do any better now, but if someone wants more pics from different angles to get an idea what it is just let me know!

Need your advice on this please!Need your advice on this please!

So the big question(s) is should i do my best to remove the blue paint or should i leave it as it is? Maybe it will look worse with the fixed part on top, but if it´s a field job that would still be a better choice to remove the blue, i think. And, could it be genuine, maybe someone can tell me what the faded word is? If it´s genuine, what would you think the value is? Not planning to sell it and im not in this for the money, but it´s good to at least have an idea if the day comes when i must sell it!

Regards

Freddie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need your advice on this please!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need your advice on this please!

It's a genuine shell which looks like an M40 model, it really hacks me off when somebody covers a decent helmet with crappy paint like that. I'd try the acetone but somebody else might have info on other methods of removing the paint.
    As it is i wouldn't pay any more than about £50-£60 for it.
    The name might be Gunze.

?

Ok so far so good, but what can you tell from the left side decal, a common wehrmacht or any special about it?

Sorry missed that you wrote Gunze, would that be a makers name? (I can and will use the search engine but it´s more fun and learning by asking )

From what i can make out it looks like a normal Heer decal.

?

Hello Freddie, nice to see another Swedish member here, and good fleamarket pickup. If you decide to remove the paint it would be really interesting too see some pictures of it during the progress if you don't mind.

Best Regards Sweguy

?

Hey, indeed! Ok will start carefully somewhere just to see how it reacts, i will keep you updated! Whereabouts in Sweden are you at? Dalarna here, and i havent seen much of german stuff at all at our local fleamarkets, never seen a helmet before this one actually, i reckon it´s a bigger chance in the bigger cities!

?

hi , I would consider this to be a semi relic lid that someone may have flilled in a crack or rust hole on top and a post war paint job

Hi there,looks like a semi-relic M40,with a standard HEER decal to me.The name you refer to would have been the original soldiers(if that is period)and he himself would have painted that on the skirt to identify his lid amongst his comrades when it wasn't on his head!!Personally I would attempt to remove the paint as it does not look period to me at all,it will be a nice little project for you and I look forward to seeing the results! Leon.

?

Agree with others, looks like a relic. I'm from Stockholm, but I have never seen any German stuff on fleamarkets besides once. I would guess that you in Dalarna have more "stuff" cause you are nearer Norway? Anyway once again, looking forward to see the result.

Best Regards Sweguy

?

Semi relic, not heard that before, semi as it has newer paint on it or is it something else that makes it semi? Thanks, if that is the name of the soldier
    and painted by him it makes it even more interesting to me!

The aceton doesnt do anything i noticed last night, i started very carefully using a cotton stick, and ended with a frantic rubbing with a towel and the only result is that i now have a cleaner blue helmet. It's obviously painted when paint still was paint, not the modern stuff that is nearly pure water. I see some white spots underneath the blue on the right side, could be another decal or it could be anything, will try to uncover the area with a toothpick or something that wont be too sharp. But i need a stronger paint remover, will let you know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast