Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need your advice on this please!

Article about: Hi guys, been away for a while, but im back with more questions yiihaa! Picked this helmet up on a local fleamarket last week, it actually started a few weeks ago, this guy had a fireman hel

?

Default Re: Need your advice on this please!

Nevermind the question about the semi-relic, just realized it´s a small matter of gramma, i thought of everything from those days as relics, thats why i got confused! Need to refresh my english language :P

I found this thread, this is just a coincidence with the colour, right? Just so i wont make any mistakes here

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/falls...erence-272111/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need your advice on this please!
    P
    Many

Quote by Wiking View Post
    Nevermind the question about the semi-relic, just realized it´s a small matter of gramma, i thought of everything from those days as relics, thats why i got confused! Need to refresh my english language :P

I found this thread, this is just a coincidence with the colour, right? Just so i wont make any mistakes here

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/falls...erence-272111/
    Hi,that fallschirmjaeger helmet is a coincidence in that the colour is similar.That helmet is in fact enamelled to be used as a kitchen utensil(this was known to happen after the war to make use of the vast amount of steel helmets around!)Yours has just had a post war re-paint. Leon.

?

Thanks! Long week of work now, havent done anything to it since last post, but i will buy some stronger paint remover tomorrow when i get off work.

?

Need your advice on this please!

Getting there slowly.. Im using some gel on it,applying with a brush and leave it for 3-4 hours, then i can start rubbing like a freak. Steelwool, would that do any good (used wet of course) or make it worse?

A nice M40 helmet with the owners name on it (Gunze i think, or is it Google???? ). Standard original Army decal (Heer) and crappy post war paintjob! You can try the aceton technique to remove the paint but be careful with the decal! Start somewhere that there is no decal that might get covered with the paint that is being removed!

?

I have seen this same color blue on another helmet and it appeared to be very well worn as in the battlefield. I had never seen another like it until I saw this one. It could stand a chance of being period IMO. If I were you, I would just leave it. Hey, at least the decal is visible and that's the only thing I would care about. Also its got a great hand painted name of the soldat who wore it. I say leave it alone , especially since you got a good deal on it.
    Dean.

?

Looks like I'm too late! Oh well. Ill see if I can find an image of the other same blue color helmet.
    Dean

?

Now you´ll probably find info that says Goebbels painted these ones just for fun, and removing the paint is the greatest sin of all, my usual luck Havent done anything more, bike season is up and im busy getting the ape together, but i covered the decals good so they will not be affected, will not touch anything within 5 cm around it. What i can say for sure is that the blue paint isn´t any cheap waterbased crap, it´s been there a long time, but on the other hand it´s a long time since it was used.

Now a bit of OT , sorry for that, but feel it´s enough threads about real or fake so i don´t need to make another one this time, im sure i will make enough of them further on Anyway, a good friend of mine is married to a girl who´s grandfather was fighting in i think Nordland Division, now i never met the grandfather myself but apparently he told my friend Anders that a helmet he brought home after the war, that he wanted to sell in the 90´s i think it was, a local and well known expert and collector, said it was 100% fake, he didn´t offer a single penny for it. The grandfather (dunno his name) just laughed and walked away apparently. This makes me think, in the late war, when the only thing that mattered was getting as much stuff as possible out, no markings anymore, are these dismissed as fakes by routine? I figure the quality sank in the same pace the reich did, so it´s not difficult to think that many sloppy helmets, medals, and everything that came out 44-45 would probably look crappy compared to the early years productions? I wouldn´t spend much on anything based on my theory above though, i´d rather spend 5 times as much on something confirmed real. Maybe this has been up many times , but what do you think, bad excuses to rip people off, or a common fact that i should know of? Just curious!

Whatever value this lid had is gone if you have taken
    steel wool to it. You cannot judge how much
    modern paint or original paint is coming off
    and you can never get it exact.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

No steelwool yet, and won´t. Using the soft yellow side on a hmmm the thing you use doin the dishes or whatever, sponge? Seems to keep the original paint, but im not sure if i should proceed, it needs to be on for at least three hours before anything comes off, what if i forget it and it stays on all night.. Nah, need to ask around more. And will try to convince the guy to sell me the other one, havent seen it, but according to him it has "some other strange symbols"..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2