Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New Collector Needs Advice On a M40 SD Luft Helmet.....

Article about: Hello to all, I am a new young collector (23 years old.) I have always been fascinated with the Second world War. I am wanted to take on a new hobby of collecting original period items of th

Thanks for all of the input gentlemen! This will be my first German helmet in my collection. I appreciate the feedback more than you know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Collector Needs Advice On a M40 SD Luft Helmet.....
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

We all started with "I just need one for my collection". 30+ helmets later....I'm still looking for more. LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ha-ha thanks MAP, I'm looking forward to owning "several" more. My wife is giving me a big stink about buying a "old piece of metal." What do you think I should tell her it is worth!

MAP
    ?

Hmmmm....I've learned not to deceive the wife. My wife has learned a long time ago that this is an addiction and nothing she says will stop me. She's fine as long as the bills are paid and the college and retirement accounts are funded.

But if you are adventurous there are multiple options...what path you take depends on your situation LoL

You can...

a) SHIFT FOCUS: from "worth" to the other benefits the item brings. i.e. less time sitting on the couch watching sports, more time bettering yourself learning about history, (or if you have kids...closer bonding time and freeing up some of her time), etc. etc...

b) BRIBE: Take her out to dinner or buy her flowers every time you pick something up ("see we both are happy....")

c) INVOLVE: Include her with the hobby (dangerous one here)

d) CONFRONT: Ask her "how much are all those shoes and handbags worth"..and follow that with...."at least these go up in value over time"....(very dangerous approach)

e) BAIT AND SWITCH: "You mean this old thing? I've had it for years...." this only works well if you have a number of helmets...

f) HONESTY (really GUILT): "Honey, this hobby really makes me very happy, and I enjoy it so much....don't you want me to be happy?"

Good luck...but in all honesty tell what you paid for it and that it was vetted and advised by experts that you paid a very fair price.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by IllinoisCornFarmer90 View Post
    Ha-ha thanks MAP, I'm looking forward to owning "several" more. My wife is giving me a big stink about buying a "old piece of metal." What do you think I should tell her it is worth!
    You say: "Only a few dollars more than if I went to the bar on the weekend with the boys, I can sell this later, and I was at home looking into your beautiful eyes all weekend instead of the bar."

If that doesn't work your hooped anyway you slice it unless she is very understanding.

Welcome to the forum, congrats on your first helmet, be very careful on Gunbrokers, a lot of fakes sold there.

Hopefully this is the start of a lot more, it gets sort of addicting.

MAP
    ?

That is a great one Doug!!!

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    We all started with "I just need one for my collection". 30+ helmets later....I'm still looking for more. LoL
    I hit 200 a few days ago. I think she's onto me....

MAP
    ?

Quote by DougB View Post
    I hit 200 a few days ago. I think she's onto me....
    No more open spots on the "Wall" I assume...or you followed suggestion "C" and because of that she can now tell the difference between an M38 and an M16 Camo?

Michael

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    That is a great one Doug!!!
    I do admit Bait and Switch is great but when you only have 1 it's hard unless you can prove they are mating when the lights are off.

Guilt works unless she is bigger than you.

Confront is very very dangerous.

Bribe only works if you have money left over from buying a helmet and how expensive her tastes are.

Stay the *uck away from Involve. Just. Don't. Go. There.

Honesty is the best policy actually. Dear, I can sell it any time you want. It cost $xxx ($xxxx if SS or FJ or $xxxxx if a DD SS or FJ) Banks pay no interest. The stock market can't be trusted. Real estate is up and down. Trust me (smile and wink - be prepared to run).

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    No more open spots on the "Wall" I assume...or you followed suggestion "C" and because of that she can now tell the difference between an M38 and an M16 Camo?

Michael
    Like I said, stay the *uck away from Involve. Just don't open that door.

Involve in the emotional side of the story ONLY. "This came from a veteran who did this and this, showed tremendous bravery, etc etc."

But once you educate them, your screwed and kiss goodbye your best helmets....they will,be turned into dresses handbags and shoes.

oh and yes. No more room on the wall. I even made a second wall, the first wall holds 156 maxed out. I'm taking a helmet break now and doing a lot of research.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast