Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

New Collector Needs Advice On a M40 SD Luft Helmet.....

Article about: Hello to all, I am a new young collector (23 years old.) I have always been fascinated with the Second world War. I am wanted to take on a new hobby of collecting original period items of th

MAP
    ?

And there you have it AP. Sage advice from one of (or "the") foremost expert there is! And a good man at that!

Doug - You always make me laugh! Drinking a glass of Sailor Jerrys at this moment!

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Collector Needs Advice On a M40 SD Luft Helmet.....
    P
    Many

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    And there you have it AP. Sage advice from one of (or "the") foremost expert there is! And a good man at that!

Doug - You always make me laugh! Drinking a glass of Sailor Jerrys at this moment!

M
    Darn, and here I'm out! My research btw is how to get more wall space LOL. Compliments right back to you sir!

I always like reading posts on guys first helmets. This was a very interesting and fun read.

Doug I appreciate the information and the funny suggestions! Its hard to believe that 75 years has passed since the end of WW2. My grandfather was a radio operator with the ninth field artillery brigade and he too was part of the mad dash across the Rhine. I do have his helmet from service time (Wish he would have brought home some jerry ones too!) I plan on taking a picture of it and my new M40 together on the 75th Anniversary of V-E Day. The history to me is amazing, and I can only imagine who picked this M40 up and where. Maybe it came home with a G.I. in his duffel bag? Or maybe it was sent home to his father....or brother. Its always fun to let your imagination fill in the blanks, and that's what keeps me inspired.

If only you could know how useful this forum is to guys like me. Cant thank you all enough for the time you put in to help collectors!

With best,

Aaron

Lid, Do you have any idea on what year this helmet might have been manufactured? I enjoyed looking at your helmet, so nice of you to bring back the original skin of the helmet.

MAP
    ?

The change from SE (Sachsische Emailler) code to the hkp code occurred late in the production of M40 helmets. Also, according to Ken N's book, lot numbers in the 12k range are at the highest end of production of the hkp M40 (although, another data base at GHW does record LW hkp lot numbers in the 20K and 30K range)

So in a nutshell your lid was made at the end of the M40 production range for SE/hkp lids. Not sure exactly when this took place (others may) but I would assume sometime in 1942 as the order to switch to the M42 design was issued in the summer of 1942.

You might want to check the outside of the liner band near the chinstrap lug. It will show the maker and date of manufacture of the liner band. This is not an exact science as the liner band was not made by the helmet manufacture but it will at least tell you (unless it is a replacement) how early it was made. But be careful. Do not attempt to bend the liner band especially if it is tight to the shell. You may kink it or worse break it.

Finally, if the helmet bug has bitten you and you want to buy more. I highly recommend you buying a good reference book. Ken Niewiarowicz "Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945: A Modern Study" is my favorite. It's not cheap at $75.00 but is worth every penny (plus it is a great read). You can get it at his website (autographed) or via R. James Bender Publishing.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Hmmmm....I've learned not to deceive the wife. My wife has learned a long time ago that this is an addiction and nothing she says will stop me. She's fine as long as the bills are paid and the college and retirement accounts are funded.

But if you are adventurous there are multiple options...what path you take depends on your situation LoL

You can...

a) SHIFT FOCUS: from "worth" to the other benefits the item brings. i.e. less time sitting on the couch watching sports, more time bettering yourself learning about history, (or if you have kids...closer bonding time and freeing up some of her time), etc. etc...

b) BRIBE: Take her out to dinner or buy her flowers every time you pick something up ("see we both are happy....")

c) INVOLVE: Include her with the hobby (dangerous one here)

d) CONFRONT: Ask her "how much are all those shoes and handbags worth"..and follow that with...."at least these go up in value over time"....(very dangerous approach)

e) BAIT AND SWITCH: "You mean this old thing? I've had it for years...." this only works well if you have a number of helmets...

f) HONESTY (really GUILT): "Honey, this hobby really makes me very happy, and I enjoy it so much....don't you want me to be happy?"

Good luck...but in all honesty tell what you paid for it and that it was vetted and advised by experts that you paid a very fair price.

Michael
    Hi guys,

First I think it is a pretty nice helmet, and for sure a good starter :-) Same condition as my first M42 !

And about wife ; I tend to use a combination of E and F ;-) Tried C, no sucess :-/. Mostly F, sometimes E , works well, exept for the amount of Valium I need to steady my nerves ;-D

MFG and good luck, you will need it !

Marc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3