Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New guy with a helmet.

Article about: Hello, I was bored and decided to try and do some research on my helmet Ive had forever, and the intronet has led me here. I bought this helmet in Jamestown CA around 24 years ago (when I wa

cword
    ?

Default New guy with a helmet.

Hello, I was bored and decided to try and do some research on my helmet Ive had forever, and the intronet has led me here.
    I bought this helmet in Jamestown CA around 24 years ago (when I was 12 years old) for 10 dollars at a flea market. I had to run and find my mom to beg for money while the guy held it for me. I convinced her to give me the money and ran back. There was another guy waiting to buy it when I got back, and he even offered me 20 dollars, but I declined and he told me I was a smart kid and left.
    I dont have much of a story on it, the guy i got it from said it came from the desert and was found with the skull still in it. He might have just been trying to creep me out though.
    I'm definitely not interested in selling it, its one of my favorite things, but I would like some info or insight on it or how to research the name or anything. Or thoughts about it, or whatever. Or maybe what it might be worth? I suppose that would be interesting. I've been told the bullet hole ruins its value, but it adds so much to the history of the helmet. If its legit...
    Well thanks, and here it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New guy with a helmet.   New guy with a helmet.  

New guy with a helmet.   New guy with a helmet.  

New guy with a helmet.  

2. # ADS

Default Re: New guy with a helmet.

Looks alot like mine I like it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New guy with a helmet.  

It is an M35 with obvious battle damage. The damage on this one looks to me to be real battle damage - entrance and exit bullet holes , shrapnel hole, concussion cracks, and missing vent bushing on the left side - not kids taking pot shots with a .22 post war. Real liner and chin strap. Some collectors like battle damaged helmets so don't be fooled into thinking the damage makes the piece worthless. Others can give you info on how to trace the name, I have never gone that route as I just do not have the time, although I would love to find out who wore the named pieces I have and what happened to them. Anyway, I like the helmet and agree that you should hold on to it. Jim G.

Looks like the liner might have suffered from blood rot, though not a surprise with that damage. Some collectors really like these because of the history and I have seen some going for the same sort of money as the same helmet without damage would fetch, or only a bit less. Not for me, but an interesting piece of history.

Jerry

a good honest helmet which ozzes history,lv

cword
    ?

Thank you guys for your input. I'm glad to find its authentic and stuff, I would have been bummed out to have found out one of my childhood treasures was a phony! I would like to try to find out the history of the name in it, one of these days...