Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?

Article about: Hi guys, Im new to collecting and am thinking of buying this luftwaffe helmet to start of my collection. I know it's hard from a photo but could you please tell me what model helmet this is

Default Re: New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?

Helmetone have you ever seen or know of the code 'RBNr/0390/0204'? As soon as i type that code in on google, it comes up with saying its a well known repro code.

The seller was adamant its a genuine chinstrap but the code 0204 apparently doesnt exist in original chinstrap manufacturer codes.

Thanks
    Kyle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?
    P
    Many

The item shown in picture 3 of post 17 I'm positive is good. Is that the buckle end or the long end that is in picture 3?

Thats the long end in the photo. Here's a photo of the buckle end. This has obviously been replaced, but looks like it was replaced in the field. Its the long end that has that code on the inside that i'm not too happy with. Its the code im worried about RBNr/0390/0204.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?  

Ken N has that code as a repro on a list from his site, which I think he copied from another list. Ill put the link below. It says it is copied from a known original but no intended to fool collectors, whatever that means since the details aren't listed to set it aside from the originals. That strap looks convincing to me, but, I've been fooled before. Staps are a tricky thing sometimes.

original helmet components

I don't know what is going on with the buckle, but the long end of the chinstrap I am certain is original. I'm sure someone on here can identify the origin of the buckle.

regards,
    Corey

Thanks for the replies. The chinstrap looks really good to me. Its just that code RBNr/0390/0204 which threw me into believing that it's a repro. The chinstrap smells really old like other items that i have. It doesnt smell of new leather. BUT, that code 0204 i cant find anywhere as an Original code, only as a repro code. I'm confused...

Well if it was copied from an original, than there is a chance this is an original long portion. The wear is very convincing.

Hi guys,

Here are a few more pictures i've taken this morning of the long end strap. I'm not convinced its genuine mostly due to the common repro code RBNr/0390/0204. It is a very convicing piece if it's a repro. The wear seems right in my opinion. But the code seems freshly stamped too. Id have thought that by being on the end of the long strap where you pulled the strap tight and it's dangling loose, that it would have the most wear, and that the code would get faded somewhat?

Anyhow, here's a few more pics for your kind consideration. This is my first german helmet and the dealer advertised it as being 100% original. But the short end of the chinstrap has obviously been replaced, possibly in the field, that includes the buckle, as shown in earlier photos. And the long end, as soon as i saw that code i was wary. I only noticed this after bringing the helmet home and examining it more closely.

The dealer said he will refund my money if im not totally satisfied which is good, but im a bit dissapointed as i was expecting a totally original period item.

Here are the pics anyway...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?   New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?  

New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?   New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?  

New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?   New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?  

New Luftwaffe helmet - please can you have a look a these?  
    Last edited by trooper; 03-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3