Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie here

Article about: Hello, I am an avid American M1 collector, but I have just come across this guy on ebay selling relic German helmets. Something about them rang all alarm bells, but not being a German helmet

?

Default Newbie here

Hello, I am an avid American M1 collector, but I have just come across this guy on ebay selling relic German helmets. Something about them rang all alarm bells, but not being a German helmet collector, I am not sure. I defer judgement to wiser heads. Any thoughts?

ventriculus36 | eBay

Regards,
    Andy

PS. Ade, is that you? Andy from across the pond.
    Last edited by aj4010; 03-08-2012 at 11:13 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newbie here
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Newbie here

G'day mate and welcome,

Relic helmets are what they are, mainly ground dug and there are more and more coming onto the market and prices are rising, I have 5 relics, I like them, some don't...my first relic cost about 5 bucks three years ago...they are mainly sold by diggers out of eastern Europe and are mostly good....many helmet collectors disgruntled by the amount of fake good helmets buy relics as they know they are real, and there are some good ones sbout and I personaly like thrm becsuse they tell more of a story....SS relics command the most money 300-500 depending on condition. However, these can be faked....there are skilled persons out there tat can take a perfectly good army shell and apply SS decals evn to these rusty shells nd they csn look quite convincing. Also some dealers try to make them more " sexy" by saying if wax found in Stalingrad or Normandy....even in Normandy, relic shells are being sold as Normandy relics when th actual relic comes fom eastern Europe!!! There are many trustworthy diggers that sell on eBay and are membershere, try to get some info or recommendations from foum members for trustworthy dealers. It's amazing how well preserved some of these relics are still with decal nd liners.....as always, place items here for review if unsure

?

The ones on that site look ok

?

Thanks so much for your reply. Having looked again at this guys stuff, I think that the thing that is bothering me is that cracks usually radiate OUT from impact damage. And some of the cracks look like a disc cutter. And the one without impact /blast damage is still cracked without any deformity. Notice the restored disclaimer in the description.
    Paranoid, I may be. Does not mean they are NOT after me!

Thanks for the welcome,

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum!

The lids from that seller appear OK.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Welcome, Andy!

Those relic helmets seem authentic. As stated, diggers search old battlegrounds with metal detectors and come up with those. Some people love them because it's absolutely certain that they saw action at the specific battlefields they were dug up at and can be researched (obviously ). Others hate them because they see them as rusted hunks that are in the process of falling apart... they'd much rather save their money and buy a helmet in complete condition.

To each their own, I suppose! Do what you please!

?

The seller is at least being honest in his description, it could be concussion damage, and he has it stabilized to keep it together......remember these have been in the grind for 70 years so all manner of damage, battle or even ploughing could have occurred.....I have concussion cracks in one of my lids, but you are right this damage seems to radiate in a different way......I would be buy with confidence from him.

?

Thanks for the info, people. As I have said, I am not a German helmet collector, American M1's are my thing. It was just that something about those things bugged me so I had to find out.
    Hopefully soon I will post some pictures of my collection on the helmet thread.

Kind regards,

Andy

I'd love to see them!

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I'd love to see them!
    Yep, I will post them. Still finding my feet at this forum at the moment. I am lucky enough to have WW1 painted dough boys, Bataan, or Pearl Harbour lids, early Hawleys, right through to the 80's woodland.

Been collecting a while. Suspect this is off topic :-)

Regards,

Andy.

PS. I have friends in America. They found me something in a yard sale. It was a complete WW2 Marine helmet , with original first issue cammo cover, without slits, green chinstrap buckle, this guy, the owner of this lid, did not even take the time to cut holes in it with his K-bar to slip the bails through. Must have been an officer!

Ten Bucks. Plus shipping.

Kind regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 03-09-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast