Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Normandy camo... how about this one?

Article about: well i was planning on trading him a perfect fixed bail m1, a minesweeper badge, and \\$425.

Default Re: Normandy camo... how about this one?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    i had another thought too, do you think it's possible that the helmet was camo'ed, and then very soon after that, the owner lost it in battle or was KIA, wounded, or captured, and then it was found by someone in france who put it away for years? i guess im saying that even though it's a camo, it might not have been around long enough in battle or have been messed around with in storage.

is that a plausible explaination for its lack of wear? i have seen a lot of helmets on GHW that look very similar, thats why im not completely discrediting it.

also, the guy who has it said that he bought it from a dealer a long time ago. ill ask him who that dealer was, if he's still in business, and then ill try to contact him and ask him about the helmet. if he got it from a very trusted dealer and the dealer confirms this, then ill have a bit more to add to the "real" part of the scale.
    Hello,
    As apparently you didn't notice my first post in this thread, then i post again to say that knowledge and patience are mandatory to be a collector. Unless you inherited an instant collection, it takes years and years to build one, i mean made of real and nice stuff. Having a collection of fakes camo helmets is easy as they're all over the place, the only condition is having the money to buy them....having a collection of perfectly genuine but relic helmets is also quite easy as they're also everywhere, but is there an interest to have plenty of relic helmets unless you dug them up by yourself ?
    Reading books is the first step to be able to recognize what you have between your hands, but that's not enough...

I used to know a young french collector who thought that he had all the knowledge needed to collect what he wanted. He was mainly interested in WWII german equipments and french 1st Empire sabers. Collecting was his life, no girlfriend, a few friends, going to fairs, flea markets all the time etc....he succeed to build an impressive collection in both matters, WWII stuff and Imperial sabers. Everything was fine for him until the day he had an argument at a fair with another collector concerning a saber. This other collector was kind enough to try to open his eyes on the fact that this saber was a fake....a later french saber restamped with imperial markings. Adviced by other collectors the young guy finally had the saber inspected by a real experienced collector who definitly stated that the saber was indeed a fake. To make a long story short, the young guy agreed to have all his stuff inspected by the other guy, same thing for the german stuff....and the result was that this young lad has suppressed his own life as he was so desperate when he found out that all his collection was crap, not worth 20% of all the money he spent over his eight years of collecting, that his "collecting friends/dealers"were scumb@gs who made huge profits on him (an imperial saber is very expensive believe me), his all world collapsed and he made something that was irreparable.

To answer your question : yes it is not impossible to find a real camo helmet that has not been used at the time and has been well stored until nowadays.

IMO this helmet does not belong to this category

Eveything is conceivable and here's lie all the danger....STORY and DREAM.....fakers are dream dealers...and collectors love to dream, the less you have the more you dream....

What's the price asked by the seller ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Normandy camo... how about this one?
    P
    Many

Its very hard to find an honest dealer these days. I called at an indoor market in Northwich - Cheshire yesterday. There is a man there who sells Corgi toys and model railway stuff. He's now branched out into selling 'genuine' German militaria. He had a 'very rare' German WW2 combat helmet for sale - which was in fact a post-war aluminium firemans helmet. Post-war Bundeswehr ski-caps had become Nazi concentration camp guard caps. There were loads of 'genuine' iron crosses @ £60 each which had been encouraged to rust. The silver edges had corroded as only pot metal can. The list was endless, 'genuine' SS daggers, pilots badges, combat badges, buckles, armbands and so on. I really don't know how they get away with it!

JR........................Probably the most sensible argument I have heard for a long time

Buy the item, not the story

Quite a long discussion for a helmet that's not a one looker by far.
    I wasn't going to comment on Obkrieger's topics anymore since he was set on creating the camo that would humiliate experts everywhere (see restoration forum). I just don't feel obliged helping people with such an attitude. Funny that he claims to be a 17 year old helmet expert and still manages to post two crap camo helmets.

if he got it from a very trusted dealer and the dealer confirms this, then ill have a bit more to add to the "real" part of the scale.
    Yeah , LOL.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I wasn't going to comment on Obkrieger's topics anymore since he was set on creating the camo that would humiliate experts everywhere (see restoration forum). I just don't feel obliged helping people with such an attitude. Funny that he claims to be a 17 year old helmet expert and still manages to post two crap camo helmets.
    Spot on Frank

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    To answer your question : yes it is not impossible to find a real camo helmet that has not been used at the time and has been well stored until nowadays.

IMO this helmet does not belong to this category

i am not trying to make an argument against any of you. if you all would take a break from bashing on me for a bit then maybe you can explain why most of you seem to think this. hell, i believe you, just tell me why. none of you have done that yet. thats all i want to know.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    yea, i wanted it to be able to fool collectors. i clearly stated that that wasnt my intention and i was going to mark the helmet on the inside as being fake. theres nothing wrong with me wanting to do that, because i reenact and i would end up using it. i said that i wanted it to be able to fool collectors because i wanted it to look as real as possible. its called an expression.

by the way, i cant remember who asked, but i did not post the helmet on GHW because this guy banned me from it.

REALLY??? Whatever possessed him to do that, Obie wan??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

yea, i wanted it to be able to fool collectors. i clearly stated that that wasnt my intention and i was going to mark the helmet on the inside as being fake. theres nothing wrong with me wanting to do that, because i reenact and i would end up using it. i said that i wanted it to be able to fool collectors because i wanted it to look as real as possible. its called an expression.

by the way, i cant remember who asked, but i did not post the helmet on GHW because this guy banned me from it.
    that would be me that asked! cant say i am surprised to be honest!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast