Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Normandy chicken wire helmet

Article about: Any chance at getting a liner pic? Is there a leather liner in it? Cheers! Rob

Default Re: Normandy chicken wire helmet

with regards i appreciate your two cents and respect your opinion just theres as many helmets as soldiers and well if it stayed stashed in a barn for 60 or 70 years the exposure would be worse for the iron in the steel than it would be for the hessian material just my humble opinion too

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Normandy chicken wire helmet
    P
    Many

Well a story is a story but if it was mine i would have to remove the cover at least once and photo what was underneath.At worst you are going to ruin a piece of rusted wire that has no real value anyway.Whether its been there for 65 years we will never know guys.Try a high level flash photo in the dark where the decal should be and you may get some kind of reflection through the hesian cover.I must say overall it certainly looks the buisness

I have to say try photo on both sides just below the airvent too as it may be SS and they tend to last even when shell is rusted.Should be at least basic paint left behind the cover.Maybe even cammo
    Tom

There appears to be a number and what looks to be writing on the cover too like its straight out of the garden shed.A nice pickup anyway

Tom

I have been following this thread for a while now. I think we need to see some good photo's of the inside of this one Chris, bit confused as to why we have not seen any yet, this thread has been going for a while and several people have asked for them. The close ups of the rusty chicken wire show the surface of the lid, and it does appear to be very relic like under the sack cloth. My gut is telling me things that you probably wouldn't like to hear at the moment and the photo's we have seen so far seem to confirm those feelings. Give us some photo's of the inside and what remains of the liner band, then we can take things further.
    Last edited by Isle of Wighter; 07-26-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    I have been following this thread for a while now. I think we need to see some good photo's of the inside of this one Chris, bit confused as to why we have not seen any yet, this thread has been going for a while and several people have asked for them. The close ups of the rusty chicken wire show the surface of the lid, and it does appear to be very relic like under the sack cloth. My gut is telling me things that you probably wouldn't like to hear at the moment and the photo's we have seen so far seem to comfirm those feelings. Give us some photo's of the inside and what remains of the liner band, then we can take things further.

My thoughts as well, Jim.

Why no interior shots of the liner as requested ?
    Seems like a tease or trying to hiding something by only showing
    small portions of this rusted helmet, and not really what's inside.

Another strange thing is that there are some guys within the forum
    who definitely know what genuine chickenwire helmets are supposed
    to look like, but we have not heard from them ! ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    My thoughts as well, Jim.

Why no interior shots of the liner as requested ?
    Seems like a tease or trying to hiding something by only showing
    small portions of this rusted helmet, and not really what's inside.

Another strange thing is that there are some guys within the forum
    who definitely know what genuine chickenwire helmets are supposed
    to look like, but we have not heard from them ! ?
    Hmmm. You are right Steve. Something strange here.

the wire is so rusty but there are not even hints of rust stains on the fabric that is weird

ian
    ?

my experience of hessian is it rots very quickly in sun lite
    it goes to a sort of powder
    i have seen sand bags rot in 2 months
    ive allso seen palets of sand bags catch fire becouse they ferment
    i IMHO dont believe that the hessian on this lid is original ,,it would have gone to dust by now ,, no i have inof experience with hessian to know this is not good cheers ian

ian
    ?

i have a role of hesian in my atic 1 mtr by 30 mtr that i know is 7 years old
    i cannot pick it up ,, it has roted ,, it has gone to dust , any old soldiers among us will tell you this cannot have lasted for 70/80 years

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast