Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Normandy helmet legit?

Article about: Hi, I "talked" to the owner of the shop yesterday. The wire helmet was found directly out of a barn in Normandy - the wire on this helmet haven't been faked! Seller also mentioned

Default Re: Normandy helmet legit?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Yes, this is what I thought would happen... I should have been more clear on this; I was not aiming at anyone in this thread or on this board, this was just me raving on about an observation of mine in general, based on things I've read on multiple threads and forums all over the internet. I also agree 100% that no story, true or false, is needed with this one... imho (always an important bit ).
    I agree, i find it collecting relic german helmets. Some argue that they have little historical value, but in my opinion, they have seen just as much action, and have the same amount of significance as a complete helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Normandy helmet legit?
    P
    Many

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I do find the very rigid and, often, indiscriminate disregarding of background stories as adhered to by collectors from countries that had no direct presence of Nazi-Germany to be curious. Of course, I do understand the original thought behind the "buy the item, not the story" mantra... I do, however, feel that some take it way too far and as meaning "no stories are to be believed, ever"... which is of course incorrect.
    The saying "buy the item, not the story" has nothing to do with disregarding a story. It simply means that a collector should not buy something BASED on the story alone. As collectors we cannot rely on a story as evidence to show the originality of an item. That is what I mean when I say it.

Corey, I know what it means and I realize that you do too. I simply said that "some" seem to take that saying way too far... as in literally

There is nothing wrong at all, when an item's history is known for certain. Knowing where something has been is always a good thing. But, too often, it is simply a matter of a seller making up a plausible but knowingly unverifiable story to go with an item to give it extra selling polish.

The helmet in question is Not in it's original form. The wire has been added post-war to a relatively low value shell with no liner,strap or decals, and by adding it, it has increased the potential selling price by an absurd amount. The rust beneath the wire and surrounding it is Red and therefore has no age to it. As for the seller offering to send it for inspection and offering a free return policy, this is only a matter of smoke to further draw the attention away from the fact that this helmet is not in it's original configuration. Many newer collectors once they have something in hand find it nearly impossible to send things back. They minutely examine the items over and over again and convince themselves that they are seeing something that is not there and that all the advanced opinions are wrong.

You heard here from Extremely advanced collectors and experts-such as DougB and the universal conclusion is that this helmet is a Fraud. It would be Nice if it were genuine, but it is Not, and all the wishful thinking and positive energy a person puts toward it will not change this. Why you insist on believing in something that should be glaringly obvious as being bad is beyond me. If you have this kind of money to throw away on tarted up trash that will never be worth anything, then so be it. Put it on your collecting shelf and enjoy it for whatever your mind is telling you that it is and ignore the rest of the World's collecting community and experts and be proud of it. We can only Try to help collectors avoid being defrauded of their moneys, and if they choose to still insist on an obvious fake as being good, then good for them. Carpe Diem....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wagriff I couldn't of said it better myself, well said my friend. Just want to add one more thing. When it comes to stories, just because the seller just discovered it in some old, run down barn or some vet estate sale doesn't mean the item wasn't a reproduction purchased in the 90's and left behind. The stories may be true, however what is unknown about the item before the new owner comes in contact with it is just as important. This is why we study the items and don't just buy the story.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    When it comes to stories, just because the seller just discovered it in some old, run down barn or some vet estate sale doesn't mean the item wasn't a reproduction purchased in the 90's and left behind.
    No one's saying that, I was merely pointing ut that some collectors do seem to take the "don't buy the story, buy the item" mantra a bit too literally... leaving them to automatically dismiss any "story" off hand.Nobody's disputing that the item is what should come first (at least I am not)... this actually sems to be what everyone on this thread has been doing already, letting the item at hand come first, that is.

On with the item.

We shouldn't go so far as to claim the seller is intentionally selling a fake. He has a lot of crap on his site, but maybe he just doesn't know how to spot fake German helmets. It could be honest ignorance rather than trickery. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Well, "intentionally" would probably be the key word in your post there... no one seems to have much faith in the item itself either way.

Not for me.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Can you show the underside where the wire folds over the rim?
    Yes, here they are.

Regards
    Replace
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy helmet legit?   Normandy helmet legit?  

Normandy helmet legit?  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast