Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Normandy helmet legit?

Article about: Hi, I "talked" to the owner of the shop yesterday. The wire helmet was found directly out of a barn in Normandy - the wire on this helmet haven't been faked! Seller also mentioned

Default Re: Normandy helmet legit?

Replace, are you considering buying this item. Because you have to ask yourself if you will ever be 100% happy with this considering people who know a hell of a lot on this subject say its not kosher.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Normandy helmet legit?
    P
    Many

?

I have again re-read all the comments and my opinion is still the same , a post war added wire to a semi relic shell that has been rerusted in part ,lets clear up two things , 70 yr old rust that has finished the process due to either envtromental or storage conditions forms an almost black patina , red rust forms in the early and mid stages of corrosion , that is basic physics re metalurgy and deterioration , rust can do two things either advance to a state of complete decay or nearly stop , it is the last method that goes to form the almost black appearance because its no longer active or at leat not to such a destructive degree , in the case of this helmet it remains highly suspicious as does the wire , my second point is the belief of stories , do we as collectors take a story on faith alone,most times no ,unless we completely trust that person and in those cases it is usually from a relation who was there at the time and did all the things they say they did and that is good provenance for us ( cont )

?

(cont) the problem we have then is that to any third party its just a story , they have no way of knowing if its fact or not ,the same then applies to us when we come to buy an item with a large price tag attached , in most cases it is a selling ploy , a salesmans tactic to secure a deal ,every so often theres an item that comes up with either researchable provenance or irrefutable proof it is only then that an informed decision to buy the item can be made and unfortunately is usually accompanied with a high price

If this were a genuine wired helmet, the price would be
    a lot more than a few hundred dollars - any dealer
    should know this - and it would probably be in
    someone else's collection already.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The pics of the wire around the rim are screamers, there's no interaction at all between the wire and shell. If I were you, I would seriously think about saving my money and buying a complete and untouched ND M42 for around the same kind of money. I wish I had a helmet I could sell you instead mate.

No point in debating it further...he's already sent for it and is absolutely convinced that it is genuine despite anything anyone has told him. He may as well enjoy it for the fantasy it is. It will be some poor soul's future headache when they either inherit it or plan on selling it. "But it's been 40 years in a collection in Denmark..." I can hear it now....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    No point in debating it further...he's already sent for it and is absolutely convinced that it is genuine despite anything anyone has told him. He may as well enjoy it for the fantasy it is. It will be some poor soul's future headache when they either inherit it or plan on selling it. "But it's been 40 years in a collection in Denmark..." I can hear it now....
    I think you are over the line here! ...please keep your fantasy for your self.

Helmet is in my house for examine - I have not bought helmet.

Regards
    Replace

Quote by Replace View Post
    Yes, here they are.

Regards
    Replace
    Thank you for showing the extra pics of this. I have to admit that they only confirm what I previously thought (and as everyone else appears to think) that the wire is not a WWII period attachment to the helmet and has been added in recent times. Obviously this is only an opinion and should be treated as such, though I recommend you return the helmet to the seller and save your money for an all original example.

Good hunting and please show any other examples you are interested in, as many of the members here have been glad to offer you their informed opinions and would surely do so again.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Please keep it civil, it's a helmet, were not solving the Eurozone crisis.

Replace I'd need the advice given. But it's your cash, up to you.

I have been collecting German helments since 1963 I have never seen so many wire, and cammo helments all over the place. Back in early 70s to early 80 you never hardly saw one. So I hate to say it I haven't seen very many real ones, less than half dozen what I mean by that is knowing where they came from Vets, etc. I think there are a lot of people adding wires (Chiken wire, and wire in general) to a lot of helments to spice them up. So unfortunaly to day with high prices it is profitable to do so. I agree with others about wire interaction to the helmet if it has been on helmet for 70 years I have seen a few of them with some kind of patina to the wire. Just my opinion timothy

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast