MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Norwegian helmet - what to do

Article about: Hi guys Annoyed from this ads?   It just received this helmet for free from a buddy of mine. What would you do with it. I keep comparing it to an ancient relic where there could be some

Default Norwegian helmet - what to do

Hi guys

It just received this helmet for free from a buddy of mine.

What would you do with it. I keep comparing it to an ancient relic where there could be something very interesting under the "new" paint

The helmet is numbered N.S66 D21 and the leather dld41

Would you pay a pro to remove the paint and discover what the helmet was earlier on?

Norwegian helmet - what to doNorwegian helmet - what to doNorwegian helmet - what to doNorwegian helmet - what to doNorwegian helmet - what to doNorwegian helmet - what to doNorwegian helmet - what to do

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Norwegian helmet - what to do
    P
    Many

I think its a beautiful helmet as it is and I doubt you would find much underneath the paint. This isnt exactly modern paintwork, its part of the helmets history. If this was my helmet I would be very happy to display it along with some untouched german lids.

Also you are very lucky to get this for free!

?

I completely agree with Douglas these are quite collectible in there own right and bring a fair dollar in the market place I love the patina and ware to the shell and I as well would gladly display in my collection right along with my Norwegian reissue Mk II.

Regards Mark

I could go either way on this.
    I understand that the helmet is collectable as a Norwegian helmet.
    BUT, if you remove the paint, arent you actually restoring it to its original state?
    Also, wouldnt it be more valuable as a German helmet?
    I think either decision is a personal one and neither decision is wrong.

I would not pay a professional to remove the paint if you decide to go that route.
    Frankly where would you find one?
    What would his profession be? . . . . Professional Paint Remover?
    If you decide to try an remove the paint, I would use Goo Be Gone and a rag + elbow grease.
    I would start with a small section underneath the brim to see how it works.
    If successful you can keep going and if not nobody will notice.
    I mostly collect US helmets.
    I purchased an M2 D-Loop on ebay which had been painted Gold by a kid after his father brought it home from the war.
    I used Goo Be Gone and took 90+ % of the paint off.
    I could have left it gold but in my case I certainly improved the value, not to mention restored the helmet.

?

Sorry I disagree removing the paint from this helmet is not restoration IMO it would be destroying a piece of history and even if you are successful all you have is a German helmet that has been messed with as the lining has been dyed red as well as found on Norwegian reissues.

Regards Mark

I would leave as is , its a nice looking helmet and i feel if you remove the paint it will destory its history and i feel you will find it hard or impossblie to remove the dye from the lining if you want to put back as a German helmet

?

The helmet should be left as is. It is a great piece as it stands.

Just saying I think it is a personal decision.
    I honestly dont know what I would do.
    I do like it in its current state though.

?

Leave it as is, right now it as an un-mrssed with helmet with historic lineage. Strip it and it becomes a messed with helmet. If necessary try trading it for a M35 in more original condition, if that is the direction you want to go in (IMO).
    Regards,
    John

If you take the rout of trying to find what lies underneath you may well end up being extremely disappointed by the results. There is no guarantee of finding anything of significance. And where you once had a cracking example of a Norwegian helmet, you might end up with a crappy messed about-with helmet of no value at all. resist the temptation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast