Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

NS 66 snow ?

Article about: Bought this a while before joining. I don't have high hopes for the authenticity of the exterior but I would love to learn from any comments members may have. The leather smells "old&qu

?

Thanks for the comments.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NS 66 snow ?
    P
    Many

Let's hope you can get that silly white paint off of there, maybe you'll be left with a nice looking SD or probably more likely ND helmet, just remember to be careful if you do indeed intend to strip it.
    Luis

Hi Katheri,

As I said earlier you might be surprised what’s under the white and you have nothing to lose. Below is a link to another post about removing paint from a WW2 German helmet. Also use the search function box on the top right of the page as there will be other posts on paint removal so do the research before you start. You have to be careful not to effect the original paint.

Remember to work slowly and be patient and most of all post your results on here. Good luck! Andy

Removing paint in a safe manner

?

Default Clearing the snow

Hi,I've been slowly trying to strip this helmet back.
    I found a fairly thick matt grey paint layer under the white.
    It didn't look original or worn other than by the forced wear and tooling marks made to the "snow camo".
    Still a long way to go,the grey is quick to remove from very worn areas with no original paint left,but bonds much more stubbornly to those areas that do retain what I certainly hope is original paint.
    Across the top of the dome is fairly bald and someone has ground down to bare metal on the possible right hand decal area.
    Anyway some interesting colour tones beginning to show through.
    I would welcome any comments positive or negative.
    Interested to hear what you think.
    Thanks!
    (Sorry Ive posted the photos in the reverse order!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NS 66 snow ?   NS 66 snow ?  

NS 66 snow ?   NS 66 snow ?  

NS 66 snow ?   NS 66 snow ?  

NS 66 snow ?  

I think this lid has had a least 4 coats of paint. A lighter Luftwaffe blue/grey and then a darker green coat on top. Over those two I think is another coat that doesn’t look period then with the white coat added over that. Unfortunately not as much original paint as there could be however you’ll end up with a blank canvas to create any type of fantasy lid you want.

?

Thank you Andy.
    Once I get rid of the grey post war paint I will let this M42 enjoy its long retirement without suffering any more repaints.
    Nice of you to comment again !Thanks.

It actually looks better without that awful white paint.

?

Thanks Anderson,I've enjoyed uncovering what is left of its "real" exterior.

Looks good Kateri, you've done a good job there, its always a bit nerve racking stripping back paint.
    "Per Ardua"

I have a similar one that revealed its former winter colours once the blue gloss enamel paint was removed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NS 66 snow ?   NS 66 snow ?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast