Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NS M35 Lot number verification

Article about: Hey guys, Need a big favor here. I'm trying to verify the date of manufacture of a M35 NS helmet. The dome stamp is not entirerly legible. It can see "193x" but can't make of the l

MAP
    ?

Default NS M35 Lot number verification

Hey guys,

Need a big favor here. I'm trying to verify the date of manufacture of a M35 NS helmet. The dome stamp is not entirerly legible. It can see "193x" but can't make of the last number. The lot number is NS291.

I've seen a thread here for another NS M35 that has a readable dome stamp of 1939 but it has a much lower lot number of D192 (Kradspams post Real Combat Veteran, Double Decal Heer M35. NS 66)

Don't have access to my research books at the moment, but did NS helmet lot numbers follow a sequential pattern?

I know that GHW has a database but I'm not a member so if anyone can help me there it is much appreciated.

PLEASE - ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. Really trying hard to document this lid.

Also, given the fading of the dome stamp, is there a better type of light (or color) to view these with? When viewed with my LED loop or a weak flashlight it washes everything out.

Thanks and Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NS M35 Lot number verification
    P
    Many

I'm not versed in lot # research, so I'm not much help there at the moment. But as far as viewing the dome stamp, it's all trial and error. I had the same problem on several lids and sometimes natural light was best, other times LED worked, and sometimes the old xenon flashlights worked best. You really just have to play around with the light. I use a LED bore light now (for looking in gun barrels) because they have the flexible neck and I can maneuver it between the liner fingers and hit the stamp at an angle, which more times than not let's me read the entire stamp. Any chance of a few pics of the stamp?

MAP
    ?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I'm not versed in lot # research, so I'm not much help there at the moment. But as far as viewing the dome stamp, it's all trial and error. I had the same problem on several lids and sometimes natural light was best, other times LED worked, and sometimes the old xenon flashlights worked best. You really just have to play around with the light. I use a LED bore light now (for looking in gun barrels) because they have the flexible neck and I can maneuver it between the liner fingers and hit the stamp at an angle, which more times than not let's me read the entire stamp. Any chance of a few pics of the stamp?
    Thanks....will have to find my borelight....heaven knows last time I used it given the cost of ammo these days, but that's a good idea. I think my kids also have those flexible lights that you attach to books. That may work.

This is the only pic I have for now. A bit far away. (Tried last night to take a better picture but the lighting was really bad.........)

Michael

NS M35 Lot number verification

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Any luck seeing the date on the liner band? Being that it's a reinforced liner band, second model, I would say its a 1938-39 helmet.

MAP
    ?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Any luck seeing the date on the liner band? Being that it's a reinforced liner band, second model, I would say its a 1938-39 helmet.
    Tried, the band is too tight to the shell. Don't want to risk damaging it.

I think it is a 38 or 39 as well. Definately not '37. Was hoping for 36 but agree that with the reinforced band it would be later. Plus the lot number is higher than Kradspams 39 dated shell.

thanks for the help.

Michael

Hi Michael, my lot number book does not have many matches around that area but what there are around seem to be dated by their associated liner band dates which are 1940. Not much help, but I hope that is useful. Leon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Michael, my lot number book does not have many matches around that area but what there are around seem to be dated by their associated liner band dates which are 1940. Not much help, but I hope that is useful. Leon.
    Actually very useful. While not definative, I think we can date this to 1939 with an outside of 1938. I will keep trying to see if I can see the markings on the liner band but I think this is all close enough.

Thanks guys!

Michael

?

My book says late 1937. Closest one being m35 ns 60 82.

The next one listed is m35 ns66 534 sd Heer zsh 40strap rtgg. Post 21 March 40 completion reissue.

Then m35 ns64 756 37 dome.

MAP
    ?

Quote by visor View Post
    My book says late 1937. Closest one being m35 ns 60 82.

The next one listed is m35 ns66 534 sd Heer zsh 40strap rtgg. Post 21 March 40 completion reissue.

Then m35 ns64 756 37 dome.
    Thanks!

Dumb question. What book? Or do you mean your own research?

From your information and the 1939 stamp on Kradspams D192 lot, can we assume the lot numbers were not sequential?

I could be wrong (which is why I'm asking for help) but in looking at the last number on the dome stamp, the top part of the number appears rounded so I think we can count out it being a "6". I originally counted out it be a "7" but it could be a "7" that is smudged.

Michael

Hello Map,
    I think Visor is using Brian ices book as I have that with the same information.It is also available as a download and cheaply too, in my opinion well worth a look.

The NS factory had different series of numbers NS D192 as above or NS E123 for example and yours which is just listed as NS 291. Also find the same lot number in different size helmets. I believe one of the factories was more or less sequential, but cant remember which one off the top of my head.I am sure some one here will provide better information, but that book is an interesting read and is great when you find one of your helmets with the same lot number and configuration as one that is listed.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast