Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NSKK 1st Model Crash Helmet

Article about: Got this "Frankenstein" 1st Model NSKK crash Helmet. Here are some details: "Nationalsoz Kraftfahr Korp" stamped on inside dome and inside left ear flap. Size: 57 Named:

MAP
    ?

Default NSKK 1st Model Crash Helmet

Got this "Frankenstein" 1st Model NSKK crash Helmet.
    Here are some details:
    "Nationalsoz Kraftfahr Korp" stamped on inside dome and inside left ear flap.
    Size: 57
    Named: Rene on inside dome and under inside right liner.
    Maker: A. Wunderlich Rachg..? under back of headliner.
    RZM Tag present: A 25?, #06682.
    But there are a few issues and questions I have (I'm sure many of you have noticed the big one right off the bat).
    1) I can't make out the last letter of the RZM tag.
    2) What I think is the maker of the liner is stamped on the underside. However I can only make out part of it: A. Wunderlich Rachg..?
    3) The big issue is the neck flap. It clearly looks replaced. But I'm not sure when. First thought would indicate post war especially since the stitching is over the name "Rene". But there are some factors that make me think it might be a period replacement
    a) The pictures make it look much more shiny than it really is and it is a bit stiff.
    b) It is hand cut (pictures don't really show this) and has that really old musty smell (I know it's not a scientific test).
    c) The "recycled straps" are riveted on. These rivets have a nice old patina and oxidation/rust from what I can tell
    d) And finally, the inside of the neck skirt is stamped with what appears to be the same stamp as what is on the dome (font, size, etc)

I open this up to all of the collected wisdom on this forum.

Regards,
    Michael

NSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash HelmetNSKK 1st Model Crash Helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSKK 1st Model Crash Helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

any thoughts? This one is really bugging me!

thanks!

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is Nachfolger (not Rachg), which is either a heir or successor from Wunderlich.
    A25 is the concern of Karl Eckert from Brandenburg. Have no idea what Wunderlich
    and Eckert have to do with each others. These helmets normally did not fel under
    an A-code, but an L6-code from the RZM. Nor Wunderlich, neither Eckert were
    listed as an official helmet manufacturer for the RZM.

The helmet may have been an earlier used Motor-SA version, which was handed over
    to NSKK stocks when the Motor-SA was incorporated within the NSKK. Helmets lagely
    were no property from the members, but from the unit he belonged to!

Have no possibility to compare with others.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    It is Nachfolger (not Rachg), which is either a heir or successor from Wunderlich.
    A25 is the condern of Karl Eckert from Brandenburg.

The helmet may have been an earlier used Motor-SA version,
    which was handed over to NSKK stocks when the Motor-SA
    was incorporated within the NSKK. Helmets lagely were no
    property of the members, but from the unit he belonged to!

Wilhelm,

Thanks for the info. This is a big help.

Yes, I agree that these were assigned to units and therefore generally not named to an individual. But the stichting over the name for the replaced neck guard has me stumped and may tie in with your theory. I still think it is a period replacement given the stamps but defer to other. I think it was damaged and then "field" repaired.

Regards,

Michael

Wim covered a few points that I was going to mention. The eagle appears to be a gilt brass in lieu of the silver type. When I was a youngster, I had one with a brass eagle. The helmet was in excellent condition so the color could not be attributed to wear on the silver finish. It has always been my thought that initially, the eagles for the motor SA had a color matching either the silver or gilt buttons worn on their shirts. Possibly Wim may know more about these. I have seen a few more over the years with gilt eagles but not many.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    A25 is the concern of Karl Eckert from Brandenburg. Have no idea what Wunderlich
    and Eckert have to do with each others. These helmets normally did not fel under
    an A-code, but an L6-code from the RZM. Nor Wunderlich, neither Eckert were
    listed as an official helmet manufacturer for the RZM.

The helmet may have been an earlier used Motor-SA version, which was handed over
    to NSKK stocks when the Motor-SA was incorporated within the NSKK. Helmets lagely
    were no property from the members, but from the unit he belonged to!

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Wim covered a few points that I was going to mention. The eagle appears to be a gilt brass in lieu of the silver type. When I was a youngster, I had one with a brass eagle. The helmet was in excellent condition so the color could not be attributed to wear on the silver finish. It has always been my thought that initially, the eagles for the motor SA had a color matching either the silver or gilt buttons worn on their shirts. Possibly Wim may know more about these. I have seen a few more over the years with gilt eagles but not many.
    Wim/Bob,

OK, and please pardon my ignorance. Just trying to learn/understand.

If I understand correctly we are thinking it is a real helmet, but that maybe it was an early Motor-SA version transferred to the NSKK. And is there a question on the authenticity of the RZM tag given that it is an A code?

I've seen other helmet posting at WRF with the same brass eagle and pepper shaker vents but obviously with different neck skirts.

Thanks both for your kind feedback!

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, I am no expert in this area ,the gentlemen above are your "go to" men , but I will add that to me it appears to be a genuine period helmet that has had some period adaptations made to it. I think you found a nice item personally. Leon.

I don't recall seeing a plain brass eagle before. The early eagle on mine was tombak with a silver wash. The lineage of many of these crash helmets can be traced to WWI surplus....they were aviator helmets so it is fairly safe to assume that they got a depot rework of sorts when they were acquired by the NSKK. The oilcloth tag and ink stamps look pretty affirming compared to mine which only had an ink marked unit stamp. Although your example may not be especially pretty, it does look original.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Michael, I am no expert in this area ,the gentlemen above are your "go to" men , but I will add that to me it appears to be a genuine period helmet that has had some period adaptations made to it. I think you found a nice item personally. Leon.
    Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    I don't recall seeing a plain brass eagle before. The early eagle on mine was tombak with a silver wash. The lineage of many of these crash helmets can be traced to WWI surplus....they were aviator helmets so it is fairly safe to assume that they got a depot rework of sorts when they were acquired by the NSKK. The oilcloth tag and ink stamps look pretty affirming compared to mine which only had an ink marked unit stamp. Although your example may not be especially pretty, it does look original.
    Thanks Nigel and Leon! (as well as Bob and Wim),

While she ain't pretty, she's got character!!! And as we have seen a story somewhere in there waiting to be figured out! Makes it a fun piece to own.

Regards,

Michael

MAP
    ?

Well I'll be darned. Search other NSKK helmets on WFR before posting this one. Must have missed this post! Same helmet and same neck flap! (but in much better condition than mine.)

Different RZM tag however.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...needed-257481/