Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ODD Camo cover on this Helmet

Article about: hey guys,,,where is this helmet list for german helmet lot numbers/makers codes..i see references being made to it and i would like to download a copy...

Default Re: ODD Camo cover on this Helmet

too bad someone ruined a nice helmet by gluing that cover on...i say,"pull it off!...let the collecting community decide on the originality of the cover"...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ODD Camo cover on this Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by theduke635 View Post
    For the record I am not defending this helmet and claiming it to be 100% I am just saying. "Why not?" I see all the points given and I think they are valid points .. My point is that this could be a period helmet the solider who owned this helmet may have made this cover just for the hell of it . As I stated before this cover looks HAND PAINTED to me and that tells me that this could very well a one of a kind. Is it real war time ? I have no idea! but why be so quick to judge this? We as collectors know what this stuff is worth ..Maybe the guy selling this is not a collector and has no clue to the real value and someone just told him its worth $1600 to try and get it from him cheap .I bought a truck load of M1928 haversacks and medical packs and WW2 flight pants and jackets for $40 and that stuff is worth way more then that ...Just a thought
    Duke, i understand what you are saying and believe me if it was real it would be a one in a million find, but if you read the quotes made by the seller, its stated that this is A VERY RARE HELMET, he seems to know what hes talking about,he has id the helmet, lotnr and maker,he has even stated that if its a SS camo then its worth a great deal more than the asking price of $1600 odd, he says hes selling it on behalf of a friend, if he believes it to be SS, then why not research it more before going to E-bay, if he could prove it to be SS he could ask the moon for a price, he invites any questions that suggests to me that he could answer awkward questions put to him, i think this is someone whos trying his luck with a decently looking helmet that has had this very strange camo cover added at a later stage. The overall construction of the cover is also suspect,to make this type of cover would take a great deal of time and measurements to get it right, i ought to know , i tried to make something like it quite a while ago and it isnt easy, i would think that a soldier in the field doesnt have the time to sit, measure, sew, and paint various colours, not knowing where he would be sent next, it would be more believable if it was a rough piece of cloth that had been thrown over the helmet, glued or stuck in place then painted in accepted colour schemes but this thing has been almost tailor fitted and doesnt make a lot of sense, i guess at the end of the day we will never really know, but it has been an interesting and thought provoking thread

?

hi duke,been watching with interest, tell you a story!! i once put up a thread on another forum when i bought a very very rare cloth covered helmet with wire, everybody to a man as always cryed FAKE!!,they knew this by looking at pictures alone? i had the helmet in my hands!!! 40 yrs collecting,with this in mind i went to 2 militaria shows in the south of england, there were top dealers there(which i now deal with) and i had to fight them off!!they were offering crazy money for it,(i did not sell ) plus i did not pay that much for it!! i also do not go along with this thing that it can only be real if it's up for £5.000! i had 4 mates around for a drink, they saw my helmets and asked what they were worth, they did not have a clue(these are the people who you want to buy a dd ss off !!)sadly at this time we are loseing many ww2 vets, their sons and daughters are selling ww2 items with no idea what they are worth, i will not judge this helmet, others have done this, but one thing is for sure, if during ww2 i was cammoing a helmet it would be like no one's else!! just a thought, one thing i would say, get the helmet in your hand's, that normally tell's you what you want to know.
    andy

?

Quote by TUFC View Post
    hi duke,been watching with interest, tell you a story!! i once put up a thread on another forum when i bought a very very rare cloth covered helmet with wire, everybody to a man as always cryed FAKE!!,they knew this by looking at pictures alone? i had the helmet in my hands!!! 40 yrs collecting,with this in mind i went to 2 militaria shows in the south of england, there were top dealers there(which i now deal with) and i had to fight them off!!they were offering crazy money for it,(i did not sell ) plus i did not pay that much for it!! i also do not go along with this thing that it can only be real if it's up for £5.000! i had 4 mates around for a drink, they saw my helmets and asked what they were worth, they did not have a clue(these are the people who you want to buy a dd ss off !!)sadly at this time we are loseing many ww2 vets, their sons and daughters are selling ww2 items with no idea what they are worth, i will not judge this helmet, others have done this, but one thing is for sure, if during ww2 i was cammoing a helmet it would be like no one's else!! just a thought, one thing i would say, get the helmet in your hand's, that normally tell's you what you want to know.
    andy
    Andy please give your opinion on this one and please post some photos of this other helmet you had , there are quite a few guys here who do know there helmets and also many dealers who don't !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

hi mate, if the helmet was in my hand's i would, good dealers don't part with money easy,

?

Hi Andy, i see what your saying and i accept that there are rarities still to be found, but there is a form of consistency with camouflaging equipment, anyone who has served in the armed forces will attest to that, you camo up according to your environment, Arnhem springs to mind, camo gear in a built up area, not very practical. Yes hands on inspection would help but we are not privy to that close inspection, therefore we are asked to give an opinion from a photo that has no real close up detail, bearing in mind these are opinions that do not have to be agreed with nor taken verbatum, that is why i enjoy this site, everything that we do in this collecting habit of ours remains a learning tool, there will always be something that puts the cat amongst the pigeons, if it turned out to be this lid then so be it , i would be very surprised , but i would accept it but until proven positive, i am still very doubtful

?

hi duke,just looking at some posts,someone has said the helmets real!, someone said the paint might be ok,someone said the chinstrap is ok,someone said the liner is good, it also tallies poss dd lufty!!! in this case everybody out there with a good DD lufty just put it on your kitchen table, cover it with strong glue then put a repo cover on it!!! just a thought!!!! don't think so,who would do this to a possible good DD helmet?,but it is looking like everybody thinks that is what this guy has done, AGAIN i will not give an opinion as to what i think, just food for thought, love these posts,
    HI dave, i am not trying to prove either way on this, but one thing i would say is if you have a family with children,or even you and your good wife go in the garden and paint camo which is in keeping with the surrounds, they will be all different! but again i am not saying this soldier did this,just again food for thought.but what is interesting is that everybody thinks the helmet may be good!
    andy

?

The interesting thing about this one is no bids , even the e bay novices who often get caught by this sort of thing haven't fancied it !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

In my opinion, a real helmet with a fake SS decal is a fake. In this case, the cloth is permanently affixed to the helmet. There is a period photo in the German language Baer treatise (vol. 1) of a few German soldiers throwing grenades who are wearing helmets with "unknown" camo covers that look as if they may have been mounted on the helmets with adhesive. That being said, the cloth on this helmet does not look at all period to me, and since I think the cloth is fake, and since it cannot be removed from the piece, I consider the helmet, overall, to be a fake, even though many of the components are, or may be, real. Certainly the shell and liner look to be original, and I think that the paint is probably period Luft blue grey as well. I have never been good with chinstraps, so I will reserve comment. The writing on the skirt looks suspicious to me, and obviously could have been added yesterday. I also don't know very much about how Luft units were designated, so I will leave it at that. The red part of the decal that according to the seller could be an SS Party Shield is on the wrong side (I know of no reverse decal SS helmets with blue grey paint). From the trace amount that you can see in the picture, it is impossible to say that it is even a real Tricolor decal. Never the less, the lot number is in the range for double decal Lufts for this manufacturer, so, based upon the paint, and assuming that the decals are also real, at best it is a double decal Luft. The opening bid price of this helmet was $1650, about the going rate for an untouched double decal Luft in very good condition, so my question is, what is the appeal of this one? If someone thinks it is original, that person should have bought it. I personally wouldn't pay more than $165 for it (about the value of a real liner), because the cloth would have to go, and no matter what was under it, the helmet would then be a restoration piece, and not an untouched original. That is my take on it. Jim G.

?

yes mate, a lot of money for a maybe ,maybe not, jim, i agree,but why do you think somebody would stick this on a possible good dd,to get more money, a dd luft is worth what he is asking anyway without cloth, get sherlock holmes in!!
    andy
    p.s
    i would pay £200 just out of interest!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast