Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Opinion on this africa helmet

Article about: Yea I agree with you Krad. It looks to me like maybe the Italian campaign....

Yea I agree with you Krad. It looks to me like maybe the Italian campaign....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on this africa helmet
    P
    Many

I would suggest a closer look at these photo's with the higher mag available. IMO it can be clearly seen that the entire exterior of the helmet has received a brick red and/or ochre/burnt umber wash. If you look carefully you can even see brush marks that are not from the application of the sand paint, but of the wash that has been applied. Pictures 3,4 and 5 show what I'm on about, as does the last one. A classic modelmakers weathering trick.

Good, but not good enough as far as i'm concerned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree, this is bad. Fake paint and fake wear.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by big ned View Post
    I would suggest a closer look at these photo's with the higher mag available. IMO it can be clearly seen that the entire exterior of the helmet has received a brick red and/or ochre/burnt umber wash. If you look carefully you can even see brush marks that are not from the application of the sand paint, but of the wash that has been applied. Pictures 3,4 and 5 show what I'm on about, as does the last one. A classic modelmakers weathering trick.

Good, but not good enough as far as i'm concerned.
    Good eye, also i think some runs are visible in the "wash" too!...

Hmmm it get harder and harder for us "beginners" reading stuff like this

Here is a good tan cammo'd M42 helmet, this one is unit marked for a Flak unit in Italy in early 1945.
    (Flak Regt 26). Luftwaffe decal showing up through the tan paint.....

Best wishes

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion on this africa helmet   Opinion on this africa helmet  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2