MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Opinion on M35 Helmet

Article about: All to add that already hasn't been said is original M-35 DD as stated Herr by ET suffers from poor storage might clean up a bit having said that I have owned many like it that turned out ok

All to add that already hasn't been said is original M-35 DD as stated Herr by ET suffers from poor storage might clean up a bit having said that I have owned many like it that turned out ok but it is what it is a example of a hard to find M-35. timothy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on M35 Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Thanks for the help

Eric
    You weren't looking for help Eric so no need to thank me.

Timothy,

What are some recommended ways I can safely clean up this helmet with out damaging it's value?

Is it acceptable to restore it (with original parts)? Or leave it "As is"?

I am inclined to stabilize it & keep it "As it is"

Thank you in advance, I sincerely appreciate all the help & I am setting about getting all the books I can on helmets, truly fascinating!

Best

Don S

Hello Don, For best value, most would agree with your idea to stabilize it and leave it as it is. Sure, you could put another liner rig into it, but it would still be, at best, a restored piece and many collectors would not be interested in owning it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it, though, in any case, and welcome to the Forum. Hopefully, you'll find a ton of good information here and some not too bad guys too along the way with matching interests and a herd of knowledge!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello Donald
    If your interests are going to be TR helmets some pointers that may help so down the road you may not get hurt:

Note that in January of 1943, the basic color of all German equipment, such as tanks, artillery pieces and so on, was to be a dark yellow instead of the dark grey previously used.
    In order to camouflage the tanks and cannon, tins of so-called 'Tarn Pasten' or camouflage paint, were issued.
    The dark yellow color was permanent.
    The dark green, dark brown and white (for winter) were glycol based paints and were to be removed with water.
    These three colors were not permanent in any way.
    After the war, people with rusty or otherwise damaged helmets, would spray paint the dark yellow color on the outside of the helmet and then, using flat enamel hobby paints intended for German plastic tank models, they over-painted the helmets with the green and brown.
    The best way to ascertain if the helmet in question has been recently painted, is to test the colors.
    As noted, the dark yellow is a permanent paint so with some water and a small cotton-tipped swab, test the color segments.
    If the color comes off onto the swab, this is correct, period water-soluble paint.
    If the colors do not react to the water, next test them with a swab dipped in acetone.
    If the colors show up on the swab, the piece is counterfeit, without any question.

Regards
    Eric

?

Are you saying Eric that every period German helmet is camouflaged dark yellow and is water soluble?

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Are you saying Eric that every period German helmet is camouflaged dark yellow and is water soluble?
    Doug
    Uh? Its a summery (not written by me) of what I was told as a kid much better laid out and explained in plain text,,, a helpful dictum if you will..I hope,, to some collectors and furthermore for winter warfare they used issue white and chalk paint both came off with water. If you what arguments dealing in absolutes on every helmet in every theater you wont get it from me, I like it here for one thing and I notice we are more free to express views.

Regards
    Eric

?

I am merely asking a question so as to clarify your statement which seems pretty absolute. Thank you.

PS yes winter whitewash was water soluble. Never heard of water soluble camo paint however. They'd have trouble if it rained...

Quote by DougB View Post
    . Never heard of water soluble camo paint however. They'd have trouble if it rained...
    That would however explain the "dribble camo" sometimes seen.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    They'd have trouble if it rained...
    Doug I doubt they used children's paint sets from wal-mart lol! be kind of funny seeing them lined up stood in rainbow coloured puddles!

Eric

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast