Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on helmet strap

Article about: You have to be a bit careful with doing that as Acetone can dry out the leather to the point of making it very brittle, also if doing a liner this way, once done you have to re-hydrate the l

Default Opinions on helmet strap

Greetings. I have this here strap and am looking to list it in the classifieds. Before I do, I want to solicit opinions. German strap, Norway used German strap, or strap from another country and not related to Germany or WWII? Close inspection shows what appears to be black dye under the red dye. Best I can tell it is unmarked. Steel buckle. Thanks for the opinions!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on helmet strap   Opinions on helmet strap  

Opinions on helmet strap   Opinions on helmet strap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on helmet strap
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Opinions on helmet strap

Looks to be German originally. Closeup of the buckle and stitching would help.

?

Could be a LW strap. They where red/brown as far as i know

Regards

Tricky, it looks treated perhaps but it's hard to tell. Are the little strap retaining nuggets (I realise I have no idea what these things are called) the usual shape or domed? The buckle looks OK for a steel one to me. No markings?

Here are some more pics as requested. Hope they help come to a conclusion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on helmet strap   Opinions on helmet strap  

?

I believe it's a dyed German buckle.

Thanks for checking back in Doug. Just the buckle? My first impression was German strap dyed for Norway use.

?

I agree with Doug, it should'nt be too difficult to either re-blacken the outward strap or leave as is.
    And Krad those little "nuggets" are called chinstrap STUDS

?

I'm sorry, the entire strap as well looks dyed German. Been a long day traipsing around the battlefields, monuments and cemeteries of Ieper and settling down for the night with my 3rd spiced Oakheart and Coke!

Hahaha! Sounds like a good evening for you. I figured you meant the entire strap but just wanted to clarify. Thank you Doug!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast