Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on helmet strap

Article about: You have to be a bit careful with doing that as Acetone can dry out the leather to the point of making it very brittle, also if doing a liner this way, once done you have to re-hydrate the l

Default Re: Opinions on helmet strap

Quote by davejb View Post
    I agree with Doug, it should'nt be too difficult to either re-blacken the outward strap or leave as is.
    And Krad those little "nuggets" are called chinstrap STUDS
    lol...... I knew that........

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on helmet strap
    P
    Many

I forgot what they were called too. I'm a stud so that should be easy to remember now

If I may as a quick question.....I was once told that the holes used for holding the buckle pin should be oval and oval only. I am referring to the holes that run the length of the chinstrap along one whole side. I think you know what I mean?. Hard to believe that all chinstraps would be this way but if I don't ask this question, I'll always wonder about it.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    If I may as a quick question.....I was once told that the holes used for holding the buckle pin should be oval and oval only. I am referring to the holes that run the length of the chinstrap along one whole side. I think you know what I mean?. Hard to believe that all chinstraps would be this way but if I don't ask this question, I'll always wonder about it.

Green
    I have a few helmets with circle holes. The majority have oval type holes, but a few are round. What you were told might be an old assumption passed onto you.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I have a few helmets with circle holes. The majority have oval type holes, but a few are round. What you were told might be an old assumption passed onto you.
    My better sense told me that also. Needed to confirm either way.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

I have removed the dye from Norwegian stained chinstraps by soaking them in acetone. Works quite well, actually.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I forgot what they were called too. I'm a stud so that should be easy to remember now
    To give them their correct name they are referred to as Helmet- leather chinstrap connecting /fastening alloy studs
    (and if you believe that I'll sell you an Eskimo camo SS helmet)

An Eskimo camo SS lid?? Cool, might have to run it by Doug, first

?

I would'nt bother Doug, he more than likely has one or two on that ruddy great shelf of his!!!!!!

Quote by NARVIK View Post
    I have removed the dye from Norwegian stained chinstraps by soaking them in acetone. Works quite well, actually.
    Really?? Interesting. Might try that. No smell?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast