Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet

Article about: Months ago i changed this helmet in a militaria fair in France for two good swords. Tought is a original freikorps one, but i need opinions because have some doubts. The interior is well pre

?

Default Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet

Months ago i changed this helmet in a militaria fair in France for two good swords.
    Tought is a original freikorps one, but i need opinions because have some doubts.
    The interior is well preserved with padding stuffed horsehair or similar
    The original chin strap recently has been fall, is in the pics
    No markings visibles
    Ignore the M42 chin strap, i add this one in the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet   Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet  

Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet   Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet  

Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet   Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet

I am afraid I have some bad news for you, and I am sorry. This helmet is not an original ear cut out. It looks like an original M18 that was altered to make it look like one. On real examples there is a distinct flare at the apex of the cut out. The liner is bad, there are grommets in the holes for the draw string and it looks like it has been artificially aged. I think that the chin strap that came with it is Swiss. The Garde insignia is bad. Real ear cut out helmets are maker/size marked ET 64, and have a much different contour. If there is any way to return it I would suggest that you do so as fast as you can. Jim G.

I agree with Jim I'm afraid.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I am afraid I have some bad news for you, and I am sorry. This helmet is not an original ear cut out. It looks like an original M18 that was altered to make it look like one. On real examples there is a distinct flare at the apex of the cut out. The liner is bad, there are grommets in the holes for the draw string and it looks like it has been artificially aged. I think that the chin strap that came with it is Swiss. The Garde insignia is bad. Real ear cut out helmets are maker/size marked ET 64, and have a much different contour. If there is any way to return it I would suggest that you do so as fast as you can. Jim G.
    Absolutely ! get your swords back ! too many M16/18 helmets get ruined this way ! shame......
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Impossible to return

Thanks a lot!

Quote by Edmil View Post
    Impossible to return Thanks a lot!
    Sorry to hear that, a lesson learnt me thinks...better to ask opinions before doing the deal, especially on items of a possible dubious/controversial nature......
    Prost ! Steve.

Here are 2 original ear cut out helmets for comparison, an Imperial, and a TR single decal reissue. Both are ET 64 shells. They aren't mint by any stretch, but are illustrative of the physical characteristics you should look for in original examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet   Opinions needed on this M18 cavalry helmet  

?

Lesson learnt for sure.
    This does not happen again.

Thanks for the pics helmet2id

Cheers

Ed

Default M18 cavalry helmet ear cut-out double decal

Guys I need your opinion obout this helmet.

Not for me. The cut outs don't have the flare (most apparent in the first picture), and the decals are bad. I would avoid this one. Jim G.