Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions wanted on two helmets.

Article about: Hello all. I wanted your opinions on two helmets (I know they are both genuine so I was more looking on what you think they might be worth). The were both found in the Ukraine and unfortunat

osaka
    ?

Default Opinions wanted on two helmets.

Hello all. I wanted your opinions on two helmets (I know they are both genuine so I was more looking on what you think they might be worth). The were both found in the Ukraine and unfortunately I have no other pictures of them. I also wanted to ask: do bullet holes in helmets decrease or increase the value? I would imagine decrease but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks so much for your help!!

First, a relic condition helmet with SS decal and bullethole(s?)

The next two pictures are another helmet from Ukraine:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions wanted on two helmets.   Opinions wanted on two helmets.  

Opinions wanted on two helmets.  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Opinions wanted on two helmets.

It is hard to say on the SS helmet unless we see more pictures. Also would help to know if it has a liner, chinstrap, drawstring. If it is real and shell only I would say anywhere between $2000 - $2500 in that condition, it is an M35 with a decal that looks way too good to be true so I don't know. There is no way to prove if the bullet holes are wartime or just the result of target practice. I personally think they add value, but it really just depends on the person. As for the Heer helmet, looks as if the liner is intact; however, a lot of paint is missing. Again, need more pictures for an accurate estimate. But I would guess around $500-$700. Were the helmets ground dug? It seems to me that the Heer helmet would look way worse if it was ground dug. Lets wait and see what other people with more knowledge than me have to say...

Hi, i will not comment on ss helmet, not my speciality. However i can sugest you not to buy any helmets with so few photos provided.
    Close ups of heer decal, paint, liner and rivets are needed.
    About the bullet holes, it all depends on each person point of view, for me it would give more historical value, however as cgp1066 as said, they could be the result of battle, a bored soldier doing some practice or post war mockup, attempting to "steal" some more money out of a rookie collector.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

osaka
    ?

Thanks everybody. The SS helmet was dug (I've seen pictures of the whole dig and I know the guy who dug it so I'm pretty sure it's real) and the Heer helmet apparently belongs to an old fellow who took it back in the day. Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

Just going on the pictures, I've seen well cared for M-35 SS helmets with rougher looking SS decals. The front liner rivet doesn't look right. and if this lid was unearthed, I'd have to say it must have been in a dry cave in the desert. Over 60 years of damp soil contact and I don't think it would look anywhere near the condition in the photo.

About the bullet holes, I do not think they are wartime for two reasons. First, what are the chances of an SS soldier getting shot dead center in the front of the head by two soldiers at the EXACT same time with a bullet spread of only 1 CENTIMETER!?!? That sounds a little farfetched to me. Second, I own a helmet that has period bullet holes and they do not look "fresh" like that. Bullet holes that are 70 years old always have a ring of rust around them.
    Last edited by Sir Payne; 09-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.

?

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    About the bullet holes, I do not think they are wartime for two reasons. First, what are the chances of an SS soldier getting shot dead center in the front of the head by two soldiers at the EXACT same time with a bullet spread of only 1 CENTIMETER!?!? That sounds a little farfetched to me. Second, I own a helmet that has period bullet holes and they do not look "fresh" like that. Bullet holes that are 70 years old always have a ring of rust around them.
    Hence the term "rusty bullet hole..."

?

Its quite possible for the SS decal to have survived in this way , however much better photos are needed re the "bullet holes" plus the interior shots, prices depend on if the helmet has a liner or not, as for the Heer , this in my opinion has not been ground dug, but again close ups of the decal are needed

I cannot comment on the bullet holes but the helmet itself actually looks fine to me so far. A closeup of the decal would help though.