Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

opions please possible KIA de-Nazified

Article about: Hi. I would like opinions on this M40 please. Decal has been scraped off right down to the metal. Apparently taken off a KIA and the liner removed for obvious reasons(not by me).

Default opions please possible KIA de-Nazified

Hi. I would like opinions on this M40 please. Decal has been scraped off right down to the metal. Apparently taken off a KIA and the liner removed for obvious reasons(not by me).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opions please possible KIA de-Nazified   opions please possible KIA de-Nazified  

opions please possible KIA de-Nazified   opions please possible KIA de-Nazified  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement opions please possible KIA de-Nazified
    P
    Many

Not much to add, friend...a relic stahlhelm that's seen some rough handling over the years...But they're still reasonably priced out there and certainly sure to enhance any Militaria-Display...!
    Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Not much to add, friend...a relic stahlhelm that's seen some rough handling over the years...But they're still reasonably priced out there and certainly sure to enhance any Militaria-Display...!
    Glenn
    Thank you for your feedback. I wonder if the decal was removed by the late war order or by the helmet "liberator" guess I'll never know.

It could have been someone trying to see if there was ever a decal under all that paint, we'll never know for sure...
    Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    It could have been someone trying to see if there was ever a decal under all that paint, we'll never know for sure...
    Glenn
    Very true although I figure if it was a case of decal digging I would expect the paint removed but this has been taken right down to the bare metal but you could be absolutely right.

The presence of a hole is no guarantee of a KIA.

That's certainly true as well...I saw one German helmet being used as an ashtray by drilling a hole on top and mounting it to a cast iron stand...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The presence of a hole is no guarantee of a KIA.
    Yes it is no certainty but I suspect it may be the case. It doesn't appear to me to be drilled but rather punched with velocity and force causing the paint to chip and also cause a stress crack. I would think a drilled hole would be more uniform round but again it is just speculation on my part.

?

As i've stated many times before Helmets were used for target practice and zeroing weapons , so in the case of this helmet there is no evidence that it's a helmet where someone was wearing it when it received damage !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    As i've stated many times before Helmets were used for target practice and zeroing weapons , so in the case of this helmet there is no evidence that it's a helmet where someone was wearing it when it received damage !
    I agree it could have happened that way. I was only told it was a KIA from the seller but have no way of proving it and we all know how stories around these objects can be spun. I was just trying to point out how this looks like it was likely caused by a projectile rather than a drilling mechanism. This helmet looks to have been scrubbed and the liner has been removed so any concrete case that it may have been a KIA has been compromised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast