Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

'Org Todt' helmet

Article about: I came across this a few days ago, I thought it was interesting (though I didn't buy it). At the time of seeing it, I had never seen or heard of this organisation, and only knew that 'Todt'

Default Re: 'Org Todt' helmet

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    Here is an original Organization Todt helmet from the collection of Mr. Niewiarowicz. He believes this is the only Todt decal which consistently hits on all points regarding authenticity. This one is placed on an M42. Notice the pointed bottom

Regards,

Corey
    Hi Corey,

I have done some more looking around on these decals, yes I have seen the one above, but tbh there are at least 3 different types out there and no-one really appears to know which type is 100% good. To be fair to you, the type you have shown is the one that has the most votes as being right by a majority, so I bow the probability that they are correct and apologise to you! But the uncertainty out there about these decals suprises me, I can't even find a period photo of one on a helmet!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Org Todt' helmet
    P
    Many

?

Ned, at Batterie Todt, near Wissant there are some period photos which if memory serves show workers with decalled helmets , not many i grant you but im sure a couple at least, also the museum in Wissant has a helmet on display with the decal which is purported to be genuine

I tried getting anything on Batterie Todt, but all the pic's bar one they're wearing field caps and the one with the guy in the helmet shows the wrong side!

I did find this pic though of a Todt helmet recently found in a collapsed underground railway tunnel in Berlin that was excavated during building work there. The decal looks a little rounded at the bottom pehaps?

But maybe not enough.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Org Todt' helmet  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for that Ned, interesting find, to me the decal is right, its quite an elongated construction and i think i see a distinct narrowing to a sharper point rather than a full rounded bottom

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Is the helmet in question metal or fiberglass ?
    It is light gauge metal.

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    Here is an original Organization Todt helmet from the collection of Mr. Niewiarowicz. He believes this is the only Todt decal which consistently hits on all points regarding authenticity. This one is placed on an M42. Notice the pointed bottom

Regards,

Corey
    Apart from Ken N's claims about his two Todt helmets (of which one he sold) I never saw one that I would deem original so far.
    The one Ken sold was discussed at length on GHW (a very late war Quist M42 painted black and decalled) , a very odd configuration to be decalled that late in the war. That particular helmet then again came up for sale (probably due to the discussion on GHW) for over 5000 USD.
    It's important to keep an open mind but also accept that with what we know and see we can not authenticate Ken's example posted here.
    All Todt helmets I have seen so far had post war/fake decals.

then it is not the type i was referring to.

I just looked at the pictures of the helmet again and I am certain that this was, originally, an RLB helmet. Look at the third picture, the area without the paint is where the star burst RLB decal was scrapped off. Somewhere in storage I believe that I have the same helmet with the RLB decal still relatively intact, about 80% or so. If I can find the right box I will post a shot or 2 of it. I still agree that the OT decal on this piece is highly suspect, and I doubt that an OT decal would ever have been put on this shell type. Anyway, I have been up for about 36 hours straight and need a little sack time. Good night gentlemen, and ladies. Cheers, Jim G.

Jim, you very well may be right about it being an ex-RLB. Something was removed from the helmet, similar in shape to the RLB insignia. most likely removed post war, and the OT decal added later.
    I can't comment on the authenticity of Ken's helmets other then the fact that they are generally accepted as the only original variation of the Org Todt decal. Of course, like all things, there will always be uncertainty. There is always a possibility that other variations existed, but I have yet to see any ground dug example or period photographic evidence to support them.

Here is a photo of a similar OT decal. The wear is the same. Some of you may have seen this on another forum.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Org Todt' helmet  

Interesting, in Ned's photo the decal appears to be in the same condition and with the same coloring as the two above. The difference being the pointed bottom on the top picture, and the rounded bottoms on the lower two decals. I am on the fence with this one... probably not safe to buy unless it was priced in regard to the helmet only (not decal). Hopefully one day sufficient evidence will surface and clear up the mystery.

Regards,

Corey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast