Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Orginal paint/liner ?

Article about: Hi, I've had this helmet for a while...and only now decided to unbox it It's a Q66 lot 261 So my main question is... Has it been repainted or a period field repaint ( the corrosion concerns

Default Orginal paint/liner ?

Hi, I've had this helmet for a while...and only now decided to unbox it
    It's a Q66 lot 261 So my main question is... Has it been repainted or a period field repaint ( the corrosion concerns me) ....as for the SS decal....I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's not real...because I don't think I would have gotten a real SS helmet for the price I paid. Moreover are the liner & chinstrap original? I know the 1943 B&C Litzmannstadt are the most reproduced...but the wear & age look legit. I took the liberty of taking the liner out of the helmet (only to break 2 of the 3 splitt pins) that's how corroded the liner is... I feel like an idiot by the way!
    Thx in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orginal paint/liner ?   Orginal paint/liner ?  

Orginal paint/liner ?   Orginal paint/liner ?  

Orginal paint/liner ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Orginal paint/liner ?
    P
    Many

IMO the whole thing is bad. Looks like a repainted relic

MAP
    ?

New paint job and thus a fake decal IMO. Outside looks heavily pitted, might even have been a relic with a liner put in.

Not commenting directly on the decal as this is a weak area for me, but I would assume it to be bad given it was put over the new paint.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

a refinished relic by its looks.

Agreed...yet is my liner original.?..I was hoping to put it in a 100% original shell...yet I'm not an expert on liners...once again the wear looks period...but I do know fakers are getting smarter & smarter...

MAP
    ?

The liner looks good but there are a few things that get me worried (as you note fakers are getting better). First, the condition of the liner leather is much better than the heavy pitting on the helmet would suggest. That said, I do not see much pitting inside the helmet, so maybe it was sitting in a barn for 50 to 70 years and only the outside of the lid was affected. Also the rust appears to be newer given it's redish color. All guess work on my part....lets wait for others who know more...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Additional liner pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orginal paint/liner ?   Orginal paint/liner ?  

Orginal paint/liner ?  

Hi, as already said, the helmet is a complete relic re-work with a fake SS decal. The liner leather looks like it has been artificially aged to me as it looks "bubbled and crusty"? Although Maybe it is a "scrubbed" Norwegian re-issued liner. Leon.

I agree...the heavy pitting is only on the outside of the helmet...let's wait for someone who has a wide knowledge on this subject...thanks for the information!

Thanks for the input...I agree with what has been determined today...does anyone think it's worth being restored? Or should I leave it as it is... It still is a nice early lot production... Q66 261

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast