Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Orig Camo paint job

Article about: thanks for the reposting the interesting image jeff

Default Re: Orig Camo paint job

hi william, but wouldnt a airbrush create the same affect?

to the forum, what about all the original tri colours the normandy versions especially these can be seen as a sprayed camo and not brushed, so at the end of the day the had spray during the period?!

annoyed me from it was at the top this thread but after some digging and much thought i post this reply.

i also am not saying ither way that the helmet that started the post is original or otherwise.

just about what i see with other spray camo'd lids of the period, then why not this one?

maybe the rattle can was not invented but airbrushing was and as a collector here said he got the same finish from a airbrush

now a collector at the forum whos knowledge is great has a period picture of a worker airbrushing a swatika to a flag center and i hope he posts here.

just would hate for a good original lid to be desputed as otherwise.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Orig Camo paint job
    P
    Many

?

Hello gents,

Here we go again with a spray paint issue. From other threads with the same issues, some of you might remember i have some knowledge about spray paint in various forms. I have restored classic car in Denmark. Alfa Romeo's from 1957-1967 as well as the old Triumph Spitfires and GT6 models. Doing this i also filled, primed and painted the body works.

Seeing this helmet my first thought was "spay can". I will agree with William on this. The spray pattern looks very "can" like. An airbrush would not do this. Maybe a poorly adjusted spray gun would. I can not rule out a sloppy vehicle painter have done this back in the day, but i would assume that the gun in use would be pre adjusted. I am not picking on Ken at all. Maybe he just slipped on this helmet? Maybe Ken knows something about the story behind the paint job.

Regards, Lars

Regards, Lars

Exactly, Lars. The spray paint equipment they would have had available back then would have been the large vehicle painting type of sprayers. The work on this helmet looks to be Much to fine and narrowly sprayed to have come from anything they would have had at their disposal. I don't believe that they had yet the mini-spray equipment like the artists use today. The width of the spray on that helmet is only a few inches at best wide. Whoever would have painted that lid back then would have been using science fiction future spray equipment for their times.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Exactly, Lars. The spray paint equipment they would have had available back then would have been the large vehicle painting type of sprayers. The work on this helmet looks to be Much to fine and narrowly sprayed to have come from anything they would have had at their disposal. I don't believe that they had yet the mini-spray equipment like the artists use today. The width of the spray on that helmet is only a few inches at best wide. Whoever would have painted that lid back then would have been using science fiction future spray equipment for their times.
    Is this really true? or is it unbased Myth-spreading - like so much in the Hobby today?
    I was directed to this thread by a HJ-Research Forum member, to upload a photo, taken no later than 1936 (the date of the membership book it was in) and what do we see? WE see what the above user states:
    I don't believe that they had yet the mini-spray equipment like the artists use today.
    I have no more comments - Shame that people will not research, but first post nonsense!
    Orig Camo paint jobOrig Camo paint jobOrig Camo paint job

Nice picture, no need to be rude.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Nice picture, no need to be rude.
    Well that depends how you look at it, opening ones cake-hole and posting personal opinion, repetitively - which after everyone has heard it enough times somehow gets known as FACT if it remains unchallenged, is also rude, very rude, rude to the item, rude to the other collectors who would possibly believe it.
    So its only "returning the Favor" as well as helping to clarify.

And besides, this was not rude at all, on the Spitfire-Jo ratio, it was close to LOVE i can tell you.

Rude? would you agree that an insult, (any insult) must be classed as Rude? of course it must be, just the same as the few nonsense posts here, are an insult to everyones intelligence, in other words, Rude to everyone. Fight Fire with Fire

But dont detract from the thread with Etiquette - just let it be - and carry on discussing the item with the now, "apparent" new, information.
    You can reach me by PM should you need to, i cant post here anymore..
    1- i dont know about helmets
    2- i know too well how this will turn out

Etiquette detracts from nothing.

You could have made your good point a little more graciously is all I am suggesting. As much as I should not detract from the thread with etiquette, please don't detract from it with ego.

?

@ Metallwarenfabrik

Fine. Let's go into details here then. What William and i are referring to as airbrushes are the ones you can find in this link Airbrush-Depot.com huge discounts on 1000 Small pencil like spray guns that i am sure they did not have at that time. The example you have come up with, does not differ much from the paint guns i have been working with. Here is an example if you scroll just a tad down. Automotive Paint Spray Guns Painting Supplies Airbrushes Body Shop Supplies 3M BASF Diamont Glasurit POR-15 Zero Rust SEM Car Paint

The only difference is that the the reservoir on your example is attached on the bottom and not on the top of the gun. Note this site also have a airbrush gun with a large reservoir compared to the ones in the first link.

The reason i think it is done with a can is... The spray pattern in especially pic 2, 3, 4 and five looks can like. If this was done with a auto-/vehicle paint gun, it would be a extremely poor adjusted gun. The air to paint ratio is way off. Too much paint and too much air IMO. The needle in the gun would have been turned way back into the nozzle. This is however one of the features of a can. This job looks like when i was adjusting my paint gun to get the right mix between air and paint according to thickness of the paint. Too much spray/splatter between the center of the application.

The paint gun you are showing is NOT the type William is referring to. By any stretch of the English language. There is some things on this helmet paint job that can make it period and some not. What about the very loose liner rear liner rivet? Looks messed with. I am not out for Ken here, but i think you post is a little "bold" to say the least.

Best and kind regards, Lars

?

Nice photo.....when I stated I got a similar finish eith a spray gun, the airbrush I used was a small Badger airbrush thst I use for painting model kits...I simply stated that the finish on the lid pictured was very similar to what I was able to achieve... I was under the impression that a lot of spray camo jobs were done in rear areas, in batches by workshop peronel using vehicle spray guns, that would be the most readily available type of spray equipment you would expect to see in th field.....however, anything could have been available, it'd be wrong to say that just he workshop peronel only did this!

I still stand by m original bought that the helmet in question was one by a smaller spray gun, the pant is very thin, not the sort of thing oud expect to see from a larger type of spray un...IMHO

Quote by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    Well that depends how you look at it, opening ones cake-hole and posting personal opinion, repetitively - which after everyone has heard it enough times somehow gets known as FACT if it remains unchallenged, is also rude, very rude, rude to the item, rude to the other collectors who would possibly believe it.
    So its only "returning the Favor" as well as helping to clarify.

And besides, this was not rude at all, on the Spitfire-Jo ratio, it was close to LOVE i can tell you.

Rude? would you agree that an insult, (any insult) must be classed as Rude? of course it must be, just the same as the few nonsense posts here, are an insult to everyones intelligence, in other words, Rude to everyone. Fight Fire with Fire

But dont detract from the thread with Etiquette - just let it be - and carry on discussing the item with the now, "apparent" new, information.
    You can reach me by PM should you need to, i cant post here anymore..
    1- i dont know about helmets
    2- i know too well how this will turn out
    Thank you for posting the photo, it is very helpful to the thread, and we all appreciate it. However, I think you need to tone down the supercilious attitude. If you disagree with something that is fine, but please do not insult other's opinions because in truth you are insulting the person.

Regards,
    Corey

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast