Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Camo?

Article about: Hi everyone, This helmet has been discussed on this forum before however i had requests from some members to re-post it with some more pics. So here you go: There is no funny fresh paint sme

Default Original Camo?

Hi everyone,

This helmet has been discussed on this forum before however i had requests from some members to re-post it with some more pics. So here you go:

There is no funny fresh paint smell (i know, it could have been painted years ago so this isn't a 100% determinant). Someone previously suggested they believed it had been aged using sandpaper, although, i see no regular patterning to the ageing on it. The textured bit of camo feels very hard, i have tried sticking my nail in and it doesn't leave a dent. There is no paint on the liner pins because it has had a replacement liner and was sold to us that way. The camo is like nothing i have seen before however, i believe every camo helmet is different so i cant rule it out just because of that.

As you can see, i have a limited and amateur way of evaluating this camo (still learning), so i would appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on this helmet, and if you could tell me how you came to your conclusion so i can learn from it

As always, thank you for your input

Vicky
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Camo?   Original Camo?  

Original Camo?   Original Camo?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original Camo?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Original Camo?

Hi Vicky,i must admit that i personally am not keen on this one,the "wear"marks that i can see do seem to be travelling around the sides of the helmet in a uniform fashion.The wear to the top/crown also looks to even for me,i would expect the very top of the crown to show much more wear than the rest as this helmet is supposedly much used as indicated by the over all condition.The cammo itself almost looks like a concreate mix of some type?That in itself could be quite possible,but all things added together would put me off. Leon.

I would agree with Leon - there are many places where the "every which way" scratches are UNDER the splotched cammo/concrete mix and that is highly unlikely to have happened!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I would agree with Leon - there are many places where the "every which way" scratches are UNDER the splotched cammo/concrete mix and that is highly unlikely to have happened!

Dan
    Hi Dan, thanks for the comments. Why would someone repainting it put scratches on the helmet before the camo? Surely they would scratch the camo to age it?

Thanks

- - Updated - -

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Vicky,i must admit that i personally am not keen on this one,the "wear"marks that i can see do seem to be travelling around the sides of the helmet in a uniform fashion.The wear to the top/crown also looks to even for me,i would expect the very top of the crown to show much more wear than the rest as this helmet is supposedly much used as indicated by the over all condition.The cammo itself almost looks like a concreate mix of some type?That in itself could be quite possible,but all things added together would put me off. Leon.
    Hi Leon, thanks for the info!

I have to agree with Dan and Leon as well. To answer why there are scratches under the blotches, well you might find the helmet started its life as a ND M42 lid, and the base green is either the original paint or a repaint of the original. So when a seller is faced with a basic used green shell with no liner they are going to pimp it to make the most profit, so add a liner, some camo and sell it on as a more exotic lid.

The other idea is its a re eneactor or referbisher lid, where they again got a basic green shell and added the camo to please the eye then sold it on without mentioning the fact its post war painted.

Jason

Original Camo?

I don't like the wear going around the lid in a circular motion underneath the roughest overpaint either. Some of it might be brush strokes but it's apparent that there's a lot of uniform wear/scratching as well...
    But what really stands out the most to me is the very uniform type of scratches to the dome, to me these are obvious tooling marks made with one specific type of tool, with the person working his way around the dome area to mimic the typical dome wear. Not very successfully at that, if you ask me.

So, as an exercise in judging wear on camo helmets I'm also giving a thumbs down, unfortunately... do with my novice analysis as you please.

It sound like we are all on the same page on this one.Fake.
    chris

Thanks to all the members who have told me how they came to the conclusion that this has been tampered with.
    Its very useful to know and provides me with a very valuable learning curve

?

Well it's always hard to tell with camo lids IMO it could stand a chance. I agree it looks sanded in some places. In other (many) places the scratches are very short, like when a round object/helmet dome hits something flat. For the areas painted over dings and flaked off paint, i will post a link to a lid below. This helmet is from Jersey and good. I went against the general opinion in that thread as well. The owner however came with a good explanation on why it is in such a good condition. However it's painted over flaked off paint in places.

I simply went against the opinion in that thread because from the get go, nobody questioned it, simply because of the user posting it. He have a LOT of good items If anybody else would have posted that wired camo lid, i doubt it would have been the same scenario.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...h-wire-277915/

Maybe someone tried to clean this one from the "ugly" texture? Trying to dig out a decal? The crudely made concrete mix seems in theory valid for being field made. Just saying.

Regards, Lars

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Well it's always hard to tell with camo lids IMO it could stand a chance. I agree it looks sanded in some places. In other (many) places the scratches are very short, like when a round object/helmet dome hits something flat. For the areas painted over dings and flaked off paint, i will post a link to a lid below. This helmet is from Jersey and good. I went against the general opinion in that thread as well. The owner however came with a good explanation on why it is in such a good condition. However it's painted over flaked off paint in places.

I simply went against the opinion in that thread because from the get go, nobody questioned it, simply because of the user posting it. He have a LOT of good items If anybody else would have posted that wired camo lid, i doubt it would have been the same scenario.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...h-wire-277915/

Maybe someone tried to clean this one from the "ugly" texture? Trying to dig out a decal? The crudely made concrete mix seems in theory valid for being field made. Just saying.

Regards, Lars
    Thats a perfectly logical explanation aswell Lars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast