Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original desert and winter camo helmets?

Article about: Howdy everyone. Here are two helmets I have reserved from a reputable dealer but I still want to double check with you experts. The first is a winter camo SD m42 and the second is a desert c

Just going by the price ($1175) that's a bargain if a genuine DAK or similar cammo helmet...... a holy grail for many collectors.
    His other SD Heer was cheap too.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original desert and winter camo helmets?
    P
    Many

I know it was cheap. I was weary. I've read on this forum that he was a good dealer and reputable. So I took a chance. He's going to include a COA but I'm still concerned. Do you guys think these are fake? 😨 I feel confident about the winter camo helmet but it's the DAK I'm iffy on

Sorry bud, i wish i could be more definite for you.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you for the help though! I hope someone else can chime in. Hopefully bay state militeria won't let me down haha

Hi, I think Michael has said what needs to be said on the tan cammo helmet. Not one I like the look of at all, the decal, apart from what Michael has already said about it, shows "cracking" to it's surface. Put that alongside the mis-aligned/creased wing details, points to a post war applied decal where the original backing glue has deteriorated. Once the glue has begun to break down removal from it's backing paper becomes difficult, as does the decals application. That commonly causes the traits you see here and as the decal dry's out it then begins to crack.
    Also, there appears to be a touch of the tan paint over the top left corner of the shield, which naturally follows that a post war applied decal must mean post war applied paint! It is also a strange "look" that the decal has been "cut around", more like you would see on a hand painted cammo, rather than "masked" on a spray paint job like this. I won't bother to move onto the liner, the outside would be enough to make me walk away!
    Leon.

Well thank you all for the help. I cancelled the order and saved my money! I'm going to buy a helmet but trying to figure out where. Can any of you recommend a online dealer? Is rapturef duck good ? German helmets inc ? I want to make sure I get something good haha. Thank you all again

This helmet is from Bill Shae over at the Raptured duck. I see nothing wrong with it but do you all give it a thumbs up?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

Thumbs up

Heres the description

This was originally a Luftwaffe single decal helmet, as you can see the blue gray finish as the base on the interior skirt. Also seen on the interior skirt is a battleship gray finish that one would normally associate with a navy hue. The exterior has multiple layers as well. The predominant hue is light brown, with other sprayed hues of green and red. This was applied over a brushed on whitewash finish which is visible where the darker hues are missing. Deep down I am sure the original blue/gray Luftwaffe paint is still hiding as well! Most of the finish is missing from the three rivets but what is visible is blue/gray. Inside is a brown leather, size 56 liner which has moderate discoloration but only minor wear. There is a non reinforced zinc liner band.

The side of the interior is stamped SE 64 indicating production by Sachsische Emaillerwerke of Lauter in the size of 64. The rear of the skirt is stamped with the production lot number 6320 indicating production some time in 1940 or 1941. The rear skirt has the name of the (or one of the!) owners in white paint, "Velsheimer". The fully intact brown leather chinstrap is maker marked and dated 1940. A very interesting example that has obviously led a few lives!

Let me know what y'all think! Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

Dave at ww2germanhelmet.com is a class act.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

This helmet has a lot going on. ALOT...

As noted, camo's are highly subjective. Ask 10 people and get 10 opinions. But I'm liking this one. If you blow up the last picture in post 18, you can see the rubber residue of the tire tube that was on this helmet at one point in time. I would guess this would be hard to fake. My only question, and this might be a trick on my eyes is the rivet in this same photo. Is it really "embedded" below the paint? i.e. is the paint built up so much that it is higher than the rivet?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2