Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?

Article about: Hello everyone, recently I have come across two helmets that the seller is claiming to be 100% original Kreigsmarine helmets. I have limited experience dealing with these and would like to g

Default Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?

Hello everyone, recently I have come across two helmets that the seller is claiming to be 100% original Kreigsmarine helmets. I have limited experience dealing with these and would like to get other collectors opinions on the pieces before I decide to purchase them or not. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

These are the pictures that he sent to me, if their is another view or close up needed, please let me know and I will ask him for them.

Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original Kreigsmarine Helmets?
    P
    Many

The m35 looks good IMO but I'm not sure about the m42 it looks to be repainted, the inside is a different color than the outside but I'm not 100% sure if it is period applied or not.

Welcome. Better photos are needed of each, though the M35 is looking ok so far, a scarce DD KM. Each helmet should really have its own thread to solicit more replies.

I'm not big into helmets, but...the M42 looks to have some sort of yellow coating on it-which May be yellowing an originally white Heer decal. You can see where something has either dripped or was brushed on it and has removed the yellow substance in places. As for the decal, it almost looks as if it has been cut from a Roll, as there is a thin strip of the next eagle's wing showing on the right edge, whereas the left edge looks short cut and the outer edge of the wing is Missing.
    The M35's liner may have been messed with, as the liner bolt oddly has no trace of paint to it, and, of course, has no chinstrap. So, unless they were Very cheap, I would likely pass on them, myself.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

M35 is a KM, early liner pins were common to lose paint so it might not be anything to worry about, the M42 looks like a KM as well but better pics needed.

MAP
    ?

Is there another decal under the M42?

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What do you make of the yellowish coating, Doug? Has something been applied where it's shiny? Or has something been removed where it's matte?
    William

?

Looks like the helmet was period painted a 1 color green which extends over the left side of the decal, and then perhaps a collector varnished it. The decal looks gold by print and not by varnish though. But better pics needed for sure, along with lot number, maker. But I lean to KM at least it has a chance I think.

Varnish was the 1st thing that came to mind too. Looks like some cleaner might have leaked onto it some time over the years. If I had to pick between the 2, I'd probably go with the M35, but then again, we don't know how much they are asking for them...
    William