Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet

Article about: All, I was fortunate recently to add this M40 with camouflage frame to my Nazi items collection. While photographing it I noticed on the inside top the faint remains of an oval shaped ink st

?

Smile Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet

All,

I was fortunate recently to add this M40 with camouflage frame to my Nazi items collection. While photographing it I noticed on the inside top the faint remains of an oval shaped ink stamp. It had almost faded completely and I could not discern the text? or graphics?. I guessed it might be an inspector's stamp. This helmet was manufactured by Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke in Schweste, Germany "NS60" and "D169" lot number.

I also have had a "regular" M40 helmet for some years. Curious, I closely examined it and to my surprise there also were a few partially barely visible remains of section of a bluish purple oval stamp also . It was an ET64 manufactured by Eisenhuttenwerk.

I have searched several Nazi related forums I subscribe to with no results on the subject.

I am asking only if anyone knows exactly what the bluish/purple stamp represented and if so is there any documentation on a website link which I could see exactly what the stamp looked like originally with the text/graphics.

On one closeup picture of the faded stamp I deliberately change the colors tint and saturation to hopefully make the stamp contrast better to the background. Pencil tip in picture points to the stamp remains.

Thanks.

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet   Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet  

Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet   Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Partial faint remains of bluish/purple ink stamp inside top of M40 helmet
    P
    Many

Morning John, it is indeed an inspection stamp. A few helmets in a batch (not all) were closely looked at and stamped with these "Dome stamps" meaning that the run of production had passed the required standards. Leon.

You know that the "camouflage frame" is fake, right?

Here is a site with the dome stamps.

German-Helmets.com

?

No, I do not and strongly disagree. Further, I have no interest in my wasting time debating you or anyone else on the subject. FYI an almost exact large color photo is shown in Schiffer Publication's "German Camouflaged Helmets of the Second World War, Volume 2", Author Radovic Branislav, $79.95.

John

What is the camo frame made from ?,it looks like stainless steel from the photos or made from a coat hanger ?

Quote by kradman View Post
    What is the camo frame made from ?,it looks like stainless steel from the photos or made from a coat hanger ?
    Coat-hanger....

Quote by w4uvv View Post
    No, I do not and strongly disagree. Further, I have no interest in my wasting time debating you or anyone else on the subject. FYI an almost exact large color photo is shown in Schiffer Publication's "German Camouflaged Helmets of the Second World War, Volume 2", Author Radovic Branislav, $79.95.

John
    Don't believe everything you read in books, there is a lot of false info out there!...

Welcome to the forum John...there would be no sense in a debate if you choose not to..but the facts have been stated clearly since you did ask for advice by starting a thread.

I can only support the fact that some references are not 100% accurate,,and I will not pass judgement on the reference you cited published by Schiffer. I am clueless about Helmets.

There are other threads within this forum..that I could suggest that you take a peruse through with the help of any of our helmet collectors..that might be able to provide you a link for you to read. Other than that..if you ask a question..be prepared for an answer. Nothing is sugar coated on this website and the hard true be revealed even if it does hurt.

The choice is yours John. If you feel the helmet is good despite your wanting to know more ..then the helmet is perfect according to authored reference material and less the thoughts of our seasoned collectors.
    ( hang out for awhile..there are alot of Helmet guys that have not read this thread yet..and the facts may get more staggering when they chime in. )

OR !...if you want to learn more than what you have already attained by the few replies..... and the reference book that you cited...you are more than welcome to read and ask questions..but please dont contradict our members here asking for advice..and telling them they are wrong..when you dont know yourself..and came here to ask. The question and contradiction can not co exist in the same sentence.

Below is an 18th century College of Medicine pic. For some not for the faint of heart..to see a blood and a mess........And as for the truth in this hobby..the parallels are the same..which some can not stomach. I apologize if my post may have been overzealous..but with this hobby in modern times of deception, fraud and poorly posted photos...it would take more than a scalpel to dig deep.

On this forum..we never stop ..we keep digging until the truth be found..no matter how messy it gets. Separate from hospital bills..with this forum..you will be saving money..instead of losing it.

Enjoy your stay ! Best Regards Larry

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I agree about the wire , looks like a modern addition that does nothing to enhance your helmet, there is no age to the steel wire at all. Nice helmet though.

?

What's the white boarder around the right side and bottom right of the decal ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast