Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Photographic differences between an M40, and an M40/55 helmet?

Article about: Do any of y'all know of pictures comparing the WWII M40 helmets, vs. the WWII to post war M40/55 used by the Fins? I've been drooling over the IMA USA M40/55s, but I can't make up my mind on

Default Photographic differences between an M40, and an M40/55 helmet?

Do any of y'all know of pictures comparing the WWII M40 helmets, vs. the WWII to post war M40/55 used by the Fins? I've been drooling over the IMA USA M40/55s, but I can't make up my mind on them. Anyways, I'd sure like to see photos differentiating between the two in case I ever get confused later on. They look pretty darn similar to my still novice eye.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photographic differences between an M40, and an M40/55 helmet?
    P
    Many

I'm not sure if you're still wondering about this or not.

But there is a couple of visual clues when just looking at them. An M40/55's vent hole curve is larger than those of the WWII period M40s, the split pin holes on the front are also visbily lower by a few millimeters when compared to an M40 as well. These are the usual give aways when someone has taken an m40/55 and tried to make it look like a period WWII helmet. Another give away is the metal of the M40/55 is notably lower quality and less hardened so on more intact ones you'll likely see very minor storage dents to the dome. More damaged ones will typically have many small dents on the dome.

An untouched M40/55 will be noticibly different to an M40. You'll be able to spot it because you've seen the M40/55 on IMA.

As for images, there is this one from reddit which shows a german shell on the left and finnish on the right, though the paint isn't original the shells are and show the differences I have mentioned.Photographic differences between an M40, and an M40/55 helmet? This is an image from a recent online auction of a an m40/55 that has been modified to look like N.S.K.K helmet that's being sold as original. You can see the different vent hole curse, wrong positioned split pins and the series of small dents on the dome.
    Photographic differences between an M40, and an M40/55 helmet?

Hope this helped

I can say for a WW2 collector there are many other signs to look for. I never compared a Ww2 helmet with a post war one. Post war used shells mocked up as WW2 helmets are easy to identify due to wrong paint , stamps , decals.
    My advice always is study the real ones.

Easiest difference is the Vent in my Opinion. If you look long enough at helmets you´ll learn to even distinguish the WW2 makers by Vent-Style.