Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pilots Helmet

Article about: Whats the opinion on this one. Its given as being worn by a pilot to keep out flak splinters, worn over the ordinary leather flying helmet. I can see the logic and remember U.S pilots donnin

OKW
    ?

Default Pilots Helmet

Whats the opinion on this one. Its given as being worn by a pilot to keep out flak splinters, worn over the ordinary leather flying helmet. I can see the logic and remember U.S pilots donning a tin hat when approaching a flak area, Memphis Bell springs to mind.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilots Helmet   Pilots Helmet  

Pilots Helmet   Pilots Helmet  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Pilots Helmet

All german helmets i've seen worn by aircrew have had the sides of the skirt hammered out to accomodate the earphones, therefore i humbly submit it as 'unlikely' plus the insignia is almost too good to be true.

Kind Regards, Ned.

Agreed on that one, plus They were only "made" for a short time and used extensively in the Battle of Britain.

Shame

R.R
    ?

Have you anothers pictures demostrating the helmet's sides?

The rivets seems too tall to me and I never had see this kind of chins strap fixing before.

Cheers,

Ricardo

I have seen the chin strap fixings before on wartime period helmets

Of course, there is the possibility of it having been "adapted" during wartime..........................

Improvisation..................somethings better than nothing

R.R
    ?

Luftwaffe bomber's crew used some kind of improvised helmets, I don't discarded the hypothesis that this is one of then.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilots Helmet  

I found a little piece on them, quite interesting...................Luftwaffe flying steel helmet (Fliegerstahlhelm) is one that incorporates ear cut-outs on a basic model M1940 helmet. The ear cut-outs are designed to facilitate the use of radio equipment used on the standard cloth or leather flight helmet. The general appearance of the helmet is the same as an M1940 save for double air vents and the factory applied ear cut-out.Many collectors have theorized that these rare helmets are nothing but "fantasy" items created from M1940 shells. However, close examination of originals proves that the helmets are in fact wartime manufactured shells of a very precise, and factory produced style.
    Many original helmets also exhibit the application of unit flight insignia including the Luftwaffe second pattern eagle decal. The interior of the Type I helmet was void of the standard M1931 liner which was removed in favour of a series of thick wool felt pads that allowed for protection when the cloth or leather flight cap was worn.

The Type I field modified protective flight helmet saw very little use1 and as a result is considered very scarce.

Collectors should note that many Type I helmets currently on the market are in fact high quality reproductions. It has been established that several European sources modified and repainted M1940 helmets to make them appear as authentic originals. These helmets have since been sold in both the US and the UK as "originals" despite the fact that they are clearly counterfeits.
    Attached Images Attached Images Pilots Helmet  Pilots Helmet 

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I found a little piece on them, quite interesting...................Luftwaffe flying steel helmet (Fliegerstahlhelm) is one that incorporates ear cut-outs on a basic model M1940 helmet. The ear cut-outs are designed to facilitate the use of radio equipment used on the standard cloth or leather flight helmet. The general appearance of the helmet is the same as an M1940 save for double air vents and the factory applied ear cut-out.Many collectors have theorized that these rare helmets are nothing but "fantasy" items created from M1940 shells. However, close examination of originals proves that the helmets are in fact wartime manufactured shells of a very precise, and factory produced style.
    Many original helmets also exhibit the application of unit flight insignia including the Luftwaffe second pattern eagle decal. The interior of the Type I helmet was void of the standard M1931 liner which was removed in favour of a series of thick wool felt pads that allowed for protection when the cloth or leather flight cap was worn.

The Type I field modified protective flight helmet saw very little use1 and as a result is considered very scarce.

Collectors should note that many Type I helmets currently on the market are in fact high quality reproductions. It has been established that several European sources modified and repainted M1940 helmets to make them appear as authentic originals. These helmets have since been sold in both the US and the UK as "originals" despite the fact that they are clearly counterfeits.
    And as a footnote, the helmet shown is an M42, so i would expect the quality to be a bit better by then

R.R
    ?

Very good John, the shell seems sanded before the unit shield was applied.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast