Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret

Article about: It's not something that I usually buy............................ From the outside, she's a nice plain jane non decal M42, but inside, she holds a nasty secret. Only because there was no dam

Default Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret

It's not something that I usually buy............................

From the outside, she's a nice plain jane non decal M42, but inside, she holds a nasty secret. Only because there was no damage to the shell did I buy it - I'd like to think the guy caught a clunk on the head, and stuck his battle bowler on after - but it may be a concussion hit, as there is a fair amount of "blood" on the inside of the chinstrap. Kinda gives me the creeps in a lot of ways -

Having served, the last time Iraq 2003........and having been in a "few" scrapes" a small cut, I know from experience - can produce an awful lot of blood. But then....... That is war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret   Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret  

Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret   Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret  

Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Plain Jane 42 Holding a secret
    P
    Many

John as I said on GHW , that's a nice lid war CKL. Nice to see these un-Nashed :-)

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    John as I said on GHW , that's a nice lid war CKL. Nice to see these un-Nashed :-)
    Thanks Frank . Not something I usually do.......... but a wider audience, that's all

nothing wrong with a plan jane helmet. he my have got hit under the chin or side of face. with out the object cumming out but only scull fracture. just my thoughts.

Hi John, a good helmet and presented in the respectful way that I have come to expect from your good self and the vast majority of this forums members over the years. Sadly in war there are casualties, although in my case I was a s safe as houses down a nuclear bunker during the 1st Gulf War!! Once again, a nice M42 with a tale to tell. Leon.

It's a very nice shell John even if inside the story looks grim. This could well be a veteran souvenir after the battle, and quite likely lifted off a corpse.

As an add to the helmet - A friend of mine bought it from a house clearance in France 2 weeks ago. Where is had been (apparently) since the 2nd owner (The guy who had died in the house) had had it since 1945......A story maybe?

Truly a "been there" helmet that shows an important aspect of the war and as previously mentioned by Leon respectfully presented.

We can only imagine the situations this item has been involved in.

Thanks for showing John.

Andre

To me, items like this do volumes more to convey the horrors of war to the casual observer. Showing a guest a worn but intact helmet in your collection room is one thing. Show them a battle damaged piece that shows signs of the wearer's death, and it hammers home the merciless brutality of conflict and the human cost of it in one fell swoop.
    It can sometimes be easy to disconnect the items in our collections from the real historical events they partook in. In the case of this helmet - and the probable sad fate of its former wearer - that is impossible.

Regards, B.B.