Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Police double decal M35

Article about: Hi Guys, I mentioned this one last week in passing in another thread. It came into work direct from the Veterans Son who's Dad "took it from a dead German soldier" as the old story

Default Police double decal M35

Hi Guys, I mentioned this one last week in passing in another thread.

It came into work direct from the Veterans Son who's Dad "took it from a dead German soldier" as the old story goes. Un-cleaned and untouched for many years.

Pictures show how the decals were over painted and new ones period applied.

Interestingly, the dome has a pad added which looks like it came from a civic helmet. I am not undoing the string to look any closer as this helmet is really untouched and you don't find many like this now here in the UK.

Maker is "ET" and is a good large size.

It will be up for auction on Aug 25th.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police double decal M35   Police double decal M35  

Police double decal M35   Police double decal M35  

Police double decal M35  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police double decal M35
    P
    Many

Hi Ade, That crown pad addition is certainly one I have not seen before on a combat helmet, a nice curiosity. The decals have been set unusually far back as well, but it is clear that they are good period originals, just it's a shame the helmet has been in the shed or alike for so long. Leon.

M38
    ?

That's a crusty one for sure. Very interesting to see the decal placement and the way they covered the original decals. I'm really curious if you can tell what the first set of decals were? Heer and tri-color probably?

Cheers,
    Terry

Hi Terry, going by the red showing, I suspect that it had Police decals earlier on too? But on the eagle side I could not make nothing out. Enlarge the pics and see what you think?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

M38
    ?

I see what you mean Ade. Looks like specks of red at both top and bottom of the right side decal area, which would seem to indicate another party shield underneath. Certainly makes you wonder WHY they would do that though......cover up the factory decals then put the new SAME ONES on in a different spot without repainting the whole helmet??? No doubts at all that it is a real one though!

Cheers,
    Terry

Quote by M38 View Post
    I see what you mean Ade. Looks like specks of red at both top and bottom of the right side decal area, which would seem to indicate another party shield underneath. Certainly makes you wonder WHY they would do that though......cover up the factory decals then put the new SAME ONES on in a different spot without repainting the whole helmet??? No doubts at all that it is a real one though!

Cheers,
    Terry
    Hi Ade and Terry, what I think has happened here is that the original layer of paint with Police double decals was over painted at depot level due to wear and a generally "untidy" appearance. If it had been done at factory level, the helmet would have been completely stripped back and re-painted then decaled. The helmet having had a depot level over paint on top of the existing layer of paint and decals was then re-decaled with the ones now visible, and over time the helmet has rusted all over except, where the original decals have added an extra "layer" of protection to the steel underneath. Leon.

M38
    ?

Interesting theory Leon. We need to know for sure what color paint is over the original decals. From the photos it looks like black which would not be a normal depot repaint color. But it's hard to tell, based on these pictures alone plus the general wear and tear to the helmet. Also, it seems a little odd that a depot would not know WHERE to correctly put the new set of decals! But your idea is a good one.

Cheers,
    Terry

Hi, on my PC the over paint looks like slate grey, which would be acceptable, as for the decal placement, it is just one of those oddities that I have seen happen from time to time. Leon.

Hi Guys, in hand it is a dark slate grey colour paint. Not black.

If so desired, this helmet could be cleaned up and I think it would respond well.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: as ever thanks for the comments!

I think an Oxalic bath would bring the paint colour up a treat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast