Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police or fire helmet?

Article about: I apprreciate the input but for future buys It would be nice to know how to tell post or ww2 issue such as vents rivets liner shell something other than just POST war. What makes It post? ER

Default Re: Police or fire helmet?

I apprreciate the input but for future buys It would be nice to know how to tell post or ww2 issue such as vents rivets liner shell something other than just POST war. What makes It post?

ERIC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police or fire helmet?
    P
    Many

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    I apprreciate the input but for future buys It would be nice to know how to tell post or ww2 issue such as vents rivets liner shell something other than just POST war. What makes It post?

ERIC
    Anyone??? Please... If mine is post its ok but how can one tell for later???

ERIC

Hi, IMO most war and pre-war M34's have a flare that is straight rather than curved (see attached). Makers marks other than L&S (DRP, Thale, PDD) usually indicate war or pre-war manufacture. Helmets marked DIN 19490 are definitely post war. Any liner with plastic parts (apart from LS chinstraps) is usually post war. Hope this helps. Police or fire helmet?

?

nice example of a civic police helmet with decal in the last pic. can you please show the liner in it. i think people are confused about the holes in the headband. you will find these holes in non combat helmets. but not in a combat helmet liner. the m-34 style helmet was used by more than just fire and police units. so there will be vareations. please dont discount the ones your not familiar with. you could miss out on something decent. things are very easy to look up any more. dont worry about the leather tabs for the neck skirt. they were part of the liner, used or not. flak helpers used these helmets with the neck protectors too.
    andrew

Hi, you're right - there are holes in the front of the M34 liner. Here is the side and liner of the helmet I posted before - note that the holes are quite fine.Police or fire helmet?Police or fire helmet?
    For comparison I found some side and liner shots of a post war fireman's helmet that clearly show what the differences are - the white plastic bands in the liner are the giveaway and the holes are larger. You can also see the difference in the straight and curved flare. Both are of aluminium construction. Cheers Terry
    Police or fire helmet?Police or fire helmet?

Interestingly the colour and patina of both these helmets were almost identical - differences in shape, liner and manufacturer marks are critical in spotting the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2