Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

q L64?

Article about: Hello All. I’m new to the forum and finding it very interesting and helpful. I’ve recently decided that I would like an example of the 3 types of German helmet. As I’m only a newbie with a v

?

Default q L64?

Hello All.
    I’m new to the forum and finding it very interesting and helpful.
    I’ve recently decided that I would like an example of the 3 types of German helmet.
    As I’m only a newbie with a very limited budget I’ve decided on buying ex Norwegian stock and replacing liners etc.
    I’m ‘restoring’ to a ‘factory new’ appearance.
    The M42 that has turned up has a stamp that I cannot find info on. q L64 lot number 5672
    The helmet is in great condition and looks to be very late war as it has loads of ripples and a bulge
    I’ve managed to trace the Lot Numbers for my 35 (Heer) and my M40s was originallya single decal luftwaffe.

Any help would be welcome

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement q L64?
    P
    Many

What you have is a very late War manufactured M42 from an "unknown" manufacturer. Helmets from this factory have maker/size stamps with the letter prefixes of "qvl", "bvl" and "vl" (probably the result of too light a strike for the "q" or the "b"). These helmets are strikingly similar to ET/ckl marked shells, and some think that the factories were related. Here are a few examples. The last few shots are a comparison of a "vL' marked shell and a "ckl" marked shell. Hope this helps. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture q L64?   q L64?  

q L64?   q L64?  

q L64?   q L64?  

q L64?   q L64?  

q L64?   q L64?  

q L64?   q L64?  

?

Thank you for your help!
    I love it because it’s just so badly made compared to the m35, which I think adds character.

Quote by Bendy View Post
    Thank you for your help!
    I love it because it’s just so badly made compared to the m35, which I think adds character.
    Interesting that you say that. I included the liner shot of the "vL" shell to show how quality control was degraded as the War progressed. Notice the chin strap bale on the wearer's right side - when the liner was installed at the factory the "d" ring was caught between the liner band and the shell. Never the less, the helmet passed inspection and was put into the stream of distribution. It does not appear that this one was actually issued. I like to think it was one of the helmets shown in the picture that depicts a GI throwing unissued no decal M42's from an abandoned train car. Jim G.

?

It’s truly a fascinating subject. I’m learning a lot and hope to get one inoriginal condition one day when I’m a bit more clued up.
    I remember when I was a kid, literally hundreds in junk shops......